Director of Marketing
Hopworks Urban Brewery
Apply for this Job
Hopworks Urban Brewery creates world-class beer and food using sustainable business practices that protect our environment and inspire our community.
Seeking a Director of Marketing to play a key role in strengthening HUB’s brand and growing the company. We believe this position needs a strong team player who knows the craft brew industry and who believes in HUB’s culture and brand.
Hopworks is family-owned and operated, employing over 160 people in Oregon and Washington. We serve our neighborhoods through donations, profit sharing and volunteering with local, non-profit organizations. We are the first Certified B Corporation brewery in the Pacific Northwest and our campus is the first Salmon-Safe Certified brewery in the world.
With locally-sourced, organic and Salmon-Safe hops, our 20-barrel brewery produces 13,500 barrels of beer a year for our three brewpubs and for distribution throughout the Northwest as well as other national and international locations. Our pubs serve our beer and fresh food, in sustainably-built and operated buildings that have a relaxed, family-friendly atmosphere.
Hopworks prides itself on providing a work culture that includes all and encourages team members to be themselves and excel. The HUB Team works hard, lives life and has fun! We care about our communities and protecting our environment. We are team-players who are the best at our jobs, radiating positive energy and focused on making Hopworks a great place to work and a great place for our guests to enjoy good beer & food.
Position Description & Expectations
Reporting to the owner/ CEO, the Hopworks Director of Marketing provides strategic and innovative leadership for Hopworks Urban Brewery’s marketing program. This position is responsible for setting and achieving measurable marketing goals that support the annual sales plan for Brewery & Pubs. To be successful in this position, you will collaborate with the CEO, Director of Sales, and Director of Pubs to create a strategic marketing plan that grows brand awareness and builds demand that ultimately drives sales and financial profitability. You are a collaborative, hands-on leader with a positive attitude and entrepreneurial mindset who embraces HUB’s mission and culture. You will define and strengthen the role of marketing for the brand both assertively and mindfully. As an enthusiastic team player, you will also establish strong working relationships with other company leaders to promote Hopworks culture and industry-leading position as a B-Corp and Salmon-Safe organization.
- Create, manage and provide regular updates on a brand marketing plan to achieve sales goals, as well as its corresponding budget as a part of the annual corporate budget process.
- Lead brand architecture and strategic positioning, leveraging customer research and traditional brand marketing philosophy.
- Monitor and evaluate the local and regional market to identify necessary strategic adjustments to the marketing plan and brand.
- Work with the HUB leadership team to develop new and updated packaging and brand designs to achieve the best possible long-term sales objectives.
- Work with the HUB leadership team to help create, manage and drive the financial, social and environmental plan to ensure success and alignment with B Corp standards, and assist with the production and submission of the annual Sustainability Report.
- Lead and manage all brand communication ensuring messaging is on-brand, consistent, up-to-date and widely accessible across all marketing platforms and messaging channels.
- Develop and oversee the brand advertising plan and trade marketing calendar.
- Supervise and work with agencies, freelancers and other vendors in the creative development and execution of all campaigns.
- Establish and maintain relationships with industry influencers and key community and strategic partners; manage HUB sponsorship and partnership relations to ensure alignment with marketing budget/plan.
- Manage the merchandise program, ensuring merchandise is consistent with brand identity and market trends; and overseeing inventory, fulfillment, point-of-sale system updates, and promotion.
- Manage creation of collateral and digital assets ensuring they are readily available to promote entire portfolio both internally and externally.
- Provide marketing support to Human Resources for recruiting and team member engagement activities.
- Promote the HUB brand in the consumer sector when visiting bars, restaurants and stores that sell beer.
- Collaborate with the Pub team to create menu assets, in-store signage, event promotions, and marketing strategies that help increase pub sales.
- Oversee development, planning and scheduling of Pub promotions and on-premise events.
- Work with the Sales team to develop new sales programs, develop pricing strategies, advise on consumer and trade approaches, as well as collect valuable insights on emerging trends.
- Partner with the sales team to establish strong relationships within the distributor and retail environments and create outstanding marketing materials and programs.
- Create trade marketing presentations for wholesalers and retailers.
Required Skills & Experience
- 5-7 years of management level marketing experience related to retail and/or restaurant industry; craft beer industry experience highly preferred.
- Proven ability to think strategically about brand architecture, consumer and trade positioning, and identifying future trends and opportunities.
- Basic understanding of financial management and marketing budgets.
- Strong leadership and management skills; able to effectively influence and motivate others.
- Approachable, mature and professional demeanor.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills including Google Suite, MS Office, web research, and other media/design platforms.
- Working understanding of general digital and print design principles, printing and production methods, and software tools used in marketing.
- Familiarity with website management and the use and tracking of social media platforms including Wordpress, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, Foursquare and email marketing applications.
- College degree in Marketing, Communications or a related field preferred.
Highly Desired Skills
- Keen knowledge of beer and the beer industry.
- Experience with and passion for the B-Corp philosophy to meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability.
TO APPLY… Submit your resume & references – and include some info about you, your availability and your desire to join the Hopworks team. Please do not call or stop by the pub to check on the status of your application.
Hopworks Urban Brewery is proud to be an equal opportunity employer - so come as you are. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran’s status.