DC Brau Brewing
Apply for Job
DC Brau Brewing Company in Washington, DC, is seeking an experienced and motivated Head Brewer to direct our Production Team in the Washington, DC Metro Area (DC, VA, & MD).
Since our launch in the spring of 2011, DC Brau Brewing Company has become a competitive regional brand in the DC/MD/VA craft beer market. As we grow we are looking to increase our brewhouse and cellar staff to support DC Brau’s Production operations. We currently seek to hire an experienced Head Brewer to support the increasing demand for our award-winning beer!
The Head Brewer oversees and supports overall Production Team activities and will be involved in and provide leadership for every step of the production process - from conceptualization, recipe formulation, production, cellaring, quality control, packaging, and documentation of all of DC Brau’s beers. This position works closely with DC Brau’s Production and Management Teams and reports directly to the Brewmaster. This position will work in daily coordination with the brewhouse and cellar, warehouse, and administrative staff. THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY-LEVEL POSITION. It is an excellent opportunity for a professional with extensive brewing experience and interest in leading our Production Team and facilitating production operations within a rapidly expanding brewery.
Our ideal Head Brewer has a passion for craft beer, is a focused problem solver who can stay calm and work under pressure, and works well on a team of people with diverse backgrounds. This professional must also have direct supervisory experience and has worked in a production brewery producing 15,000 bbls or more annually.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manages Brewhouse and Packaging lead staff and ensures the management of all other Production staff.
- Proficient in all areas of beer production including brewing, cellaring, packaging, and racking.
- Enforces general brewery policies, procedures and productivity standards.
- Creates, evaluates, and improves brewery standard operating procedures (SOPs) for every critical aspect of production.
- Takes ownership of brewhouse operations by coordinating with the manufacturer (GEA and ABT) and outside contractors on maintenance and other issues.
- Creates and maintains production schedule in coordination with brewing and packaging staff.
- Oversees monthly inventory of raw ingredients (hops, grain, cans, cleaning chemicals, bottles, labels), finished goods, and goods in process.
- Manages weekly inventory of raw ingredients to determine needs of brewing demands and schedule.
- Leads continuous improvement of recipe formulation and, in collaboration with the Brewmaster, leads the development of new beer recipe formulation and works with Marketing and Sales department from ideation to finished product.
- Represents DC Brau and promotes the brewery via external meetings, conferences, presentations, exhibits, and events.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Four-year College degree preferred in Brewing/Fermentation science or Food Science. A degree in a related field can be substituted for specific work experience.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant experience and/or advanced technical training
- Minimum 3 years of department management, including direct supervisory experience
- Experience working in a production brewery producing 15,000 bbls or more annually.
- Experience operating automated or semi-automated brewhouse.
- Experienced in speaking effectively before industry peers, customers, and/or employees of the company.
- Experience in tracking and purchasing inventory and ingredients via brewery management programs such as Ekos or Orchestrated Beer or equivalent.
- Experience reading and interpreting documents such as brewery SOPs, brewhouse logs, emails, and safety guidelines, and updating said documents / logs as needs of specific tasks evolve.
- Experienced and focused problem solver with ability to stay calm and work under pressure.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to use basic math skills such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Ability to work as part of a team with people with diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to perform regular general maintenance on equipment.
DC Brau is offering full-time, salaried exempt employment for this position. After an onboarding period, full-time employees are offered benefits including medical, vision and dental insurance, paid time off, holidays and a company-sponsored retirement investment plan.
DC Brau is an equal employment opportunity employer and implements policies and practices that do not discriminate against applicants and employees.