Almanac Beer Co.
Apply for this Job
Hours: Full time
Compensation: Hourly TBD based on experience. Almanac benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401k, short & long-term disability, paid time off, paid holidays and beer perks!
Reports to: Head Brewer
Almanac Beer Co is seeking a brewer to join our small team in our new production facility in Alameda. We work on a 20bbl JVNW brewhouse and cellar with the capacity up to 15,000 barrels. We have 12 fermenters (25bbl-120 bbl) and an oak program of 15 fouders (30bbl-100bbl) and 600 oak barrels. We are looking for someone with experience and unwavering commitment to quality and continuous improvement. This position requires the flexibility to assist where needed, and will provide many growth opportunities. Mechanical experience (even outside of brewing) or laboratory experience are strong pluses.
Duties & responsibilities:
- Brewing: Ability to produce wort from a recipe following an SOP is important as well as the knowledge of how to adjust accordingly to meet brew specifications.
- Fresh & Sour Cellar Operations: Cellar CIP, yeast management, barrel cleaning, transfers, blending etc. Cleaning! Please be obsessed with low DO.
- Lab assistance: Yeast counts, DO readings, gravities, pH, Titratable acidity.
- Assisting with packaging which includes canning, bottling, and kegging (everyone cleans kegs!) as needed. Experience with Wild Goose canning lines or Meheen bottlers a strong plus.
- Record Keeping: Detailed records of all work performed. We use an ERP based brewing management suite. Freshman computer literacy is required.
- Preventative Maintenance: Assist Mechanic as needed with the preventative maintenance of all brewery equipment. Bottling lines, boilers, water treatment, etc
- 2 years experience, and/or college education or trade equivalent. This is not an entry level position, come at us with the skillset to match!
- Must be 21 years of age
- Must pass post-offer pre-employment background check
Bonus point skills:
- Commercial Electrical
- Forklift ninja
- Able to stand for extended periods of time
- Able to regularly twist, turn, lift supplies and equipment up to 50-lb (I.e., cases of beer, bags of malt)
- Able to move 155-lb kegs of beer (using appropriate techniques and tools).
- Able to work in a production environment where noise level is usually moderate to loud and warehouse temperature fluctuates according to the weather.
- Ability to work a rotating schedule, including morning/mid/evening shifts.
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, growing company
- Positive outlook and attitude, with the ability to think on your feet.
- Resourceful and creative.
- Ability to work unsupervised while maintaining rigorous safety and quality standards.
- Extreme attention to detail, as well as strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple processes at one time
- Self motivated with exceptional time-management skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff throughout the organization.
- Have a passion for making great beer
Please submit a resume, salary requirements and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Please include in your cover letter how you like your coffee so we know you read this whole thing – attention to detail matters.
Almanac is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.