Silver Branch Brewing seeks Brewer in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Silver Branch Brewing Company
Apply for this Job
Silver Branch Brewing Company is a just-opened brewery in Silver Spring, Maryland. We are looking for an entrepreneurial and driven individual to join and help lead our brewery team. The successful applicant will work in collaboration with the co-founder/head brewer to plan and execute brewery operations. This is a full-time position.
Silver Branch operates on a 3-vessel 15-barrel brewhouse and features a large taproom with an outdoor Biergarten. Cellar tanks include two 30 and two 45-barrel fermenters and one 45-barrel bright tank. We plan to add additional fermenters and a second bright tank in the next 6 to 12 months. Silver Branch runs a real ale program with 100 firkins, and we have a Cask SAMS canning line. We also plan to begin barrel ageing in the next few months.
Silver Branch celebrates the beers of the four major brewing cultures. We brew traditional renditions of central European lagers, British cask ales and Belgian Ales as well as newer American styles. An appreciation for the art and science of brewing these traditional styles is essential.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Wort production, including some early and/or late shifts when doing multiple brews.
- Fermentation management.
- Quality assurance.
- Raw material management, including yeast management and malt handling.
- Assist and help direct the cellar team with racking, fining, and carbonating beer.
- Assist and help direct packaging beer in kegs, cans and firkins.
- Cleaning and sanitation.
- Maintenance of brewery equipment.
- Assisting with self-distribution to a limited extent.
- Participation in events on and off property, brew dinners, tastings, tours, events etc.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A high degree of passion for the history and culture of beer, and for brewing a variety of quality beer from classic styles to innovative one-offs.
- 3-plus years of experience brewing, cellaring, and running and maintaining a canning line.
- A strong desire to join, make a positive mark on a new brewery, and become a public face associated with Silver Branch.
- Experience running quality assurance to ensure consistently outstanding beer quality, batch consistency, shelf stability, etc.
- Formal brewing education is a plus but not a requirement.
- Strong mechanical background and equipment operation experience.
- Ability to operate a forklift and other mechanical equipment.
- Willingness to establish and stick to set schedules.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to work hard in a fast-paced environment with high volume growth potential, including night and weekend shifts.
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail.
- Willingness and ability to manage a cellar team and other brewers.
- Computer skills (web-based email, Microsoft Office Suite).
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl.
- Heavy physical work including climbing stairs, climbing into tanks, pulling hoses, etc.
- Willing to work in wet, hot and cold conditions.
- Willing to work in consistently loud environments.
- Ability to work safely with potentially hazardous chemicals.
- Ability to frequently lift or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 75 lbs.
- Safely operate material handling equipment for the purpose of receiving, sorting, counting, storing, staging, picking, locating, relocating, and delivering materials with accuracy.
- Willingness to work days, evenings and weekends is required.
Silver Branch Brewing Company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, military status, or political ideology in any of its activities or operations.
How to Apply: