Packaging Manager- Austin Beerworks- Austin, TX
Apply for this Job
Job Title: Packaging Manager
Location: Austin, Texas
Summary: Austin Beerworks, a 20,000+ bbl production brewery (kegs and cans), is seeking a Packaging Manager to efficiently run packaging operations. The person selected for this position will be responsible for all aspects of packaging from managing personnel, to team building, to troubleshooting equipment, and ordering and managing packaging material procurement.
Compensation: This is a salaried, exempt position with expected work hours of 45 hours per week on average. We offer competitive salary, health benefits, 401(k) w/4% match, paid vacation and paid sick leave, taproom and take home beer allowances, and most importantly, a positive work environment.
· Work with Head Brewer, Cellar Manager, Lab Manager, and Distribution Manager to execute required schedules to fulfill orders in a timely manner.
· Set schedule to execute daily packaging requirements (currently 5 full-time members)
· Supervise and train team on proper equipment operation to include CIP.
· Responsible for proactively ordering packaging materials and ensuring inventory levels are adequate for production needs.
· Responsible for ensuring packaging materials are within spec and evaluating potential new suppliers of packaging materials.
· Maintenance of and continued development of SOPs for packaging positions and equipment.
· Maintenance and troubleshooting of all packaging equipment (in conjunction with the maintenance department). Packaging equipment includes a Ska Canibus depalletizer, date coder, CFT 24 head rotary can filler w/ 4 head seamer (200 cans per minute), X-ray low fill detector, Paktech handle applicator and a KHS keg line (50 kegs/hr).
· Maintain consistent quality of packaged beer. This requires the knowledge to supervise, enforce, and maintain quality control procedures and processes including date coding, CO2 and DO readings/levels, can seams and finished product examination.
· Work with Lab on QA/QC on finished beer and equipment testing.
· A constant drive towards producing a better packaged beer.
· Works with HR and Founders in decisions on employee hiring, termination, advancement, or any other changes in status of employees.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties or responsibilities.
What we’re looking for in you:
· A passion for beer.
· Knowledge of the brewing process.
· A high level of mechanical aptitude.
· 2 or more years in a lead packaging position (at a 10,000+ barrel a year brewery is preferred).
· Proven leadership skills and experience managing and training employees.
· Familiarity with Quality Control devices and practices/requirements.
· Excellent communication, time management, and organizational skills.
· Ability to cooperate and communicate effectively with other departments for the overall good of the company.
· Ability to multitask effectively.
· Understanding of OSHA and safety standards’ and HACCP a plus.
· Physical ability to stack 40lb cases and lift kegs weighing up to 150 lbs.
· Have chemical training and the ability to properly use and safely handle a variety of hazardous materials including acids, caustics, and sanitizers.
· Knowledge of Ekos Brewmaster is a plus.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org