Head Brewer/Brewery Production Manager
Bent Paddle Brewing Company
Apply for this Job
Considered candidates for the Brewery Production Manager position will have substantial commercial brewing experience, proven leadership management skills, a passion for brewing, strong critical thinking and communication as they lead our Production and Packaging teams.
This is a high-level role working directly under the Director of Brewing managing all aspects of day to day brewery production operations. This person will spend a great deal of time on the brewery floor making sure that staff are working efficiency and are supported, issues are solved, and production processes are running smoothly. Our Production Manager will manage resources, set production goals, ensure efficiency, quality control, profitability and logistics management for brew house, cellar and packaging.
We operate a 30bbl brewhouse producing 17,500 bbls in 2018 with distribution in MN, WI and ND. We also have a bustling Taproom that regularly features our flagship, specialty and seasonal beers. Duluth was named ‘Best Outdoor Town in America’ in Outside Magazine a few years ago due to the world class outdoor recreation and natural beauty our City has to offer.
All in a Days Work:
- Lead, train, manage, and schedule a growing production team of 12+ (this includes brewhouse, cellar, packaging and works closely with Warehouse Manager)
- Lead all day-to-day operations necessary to produce high quality, consistent craft beer.
- Manage all production related Orchestrated Beer functions including but not limited to production order creation and execution, inventory management.
- Inventory management of all raw materials, contracted materials, and any assets belonging to the respected department.
- Promote an atmosphere of cooperation and teamwork.
- Advocate and lead a continuous improvement culture throughout his/her team.
- Manage and improve QA/QC process.
- Maintain and create Standard Operating Procedures as necessary.
- Hold self and team accountable for adherence to SOP’s.
- Facilitate future growth of the brewery through continuous optimization of current processes.
- Work with Director of Brewing on equipment acquisition and expansion logistics
- Manage implementation of new equipment and processes.
- Works directly with leadership management on new product development initiatives.
- Maintain brewing, cellaring, clarification, packaging and other related documentation in an organized and complete manner.
- Must have a strong mechanical background with the ability to troubleshoot and resolve mechanical problems, brewhouse, canning line, compressors, boilers, and all equipment related to the brewery.
- Provide hands on relief of all positions, as necessary.
- Provide support, guidance and training to team on daily basis, conduct monthly team meetings, one on one quarterly check-in’s and annual reviews
- Knowledge of recipe development and understanding of balance.
- Maintain healthy communication with all departments.
- Actively manage department budgets
- Represent Bent Paddle at on/off site events/festivals
- Maintain and promote a clean and organized production environment.
Experience and Technical Requirements:
- 5+ years of brewing experience, with a history of progressive advancement in leadership or management positions throughout the brewery.
- Managed production brewery staff of at least 6 people for a minimum of 2 years.
- College degree and/or certification from an accredited brewing program.
- Strong mechanical and problem-solving aptitude.
- Equipment, cellaring, cleaning and maintenance best practices. SOP development and enforcement.
- Working knowledge of safety, (OSHA) compliance requirements and enforcement.
- Technical and Practical knowledge of all aspects of brewery equipment
- Overall Inventory management
- Yeast management, fermentation theory/practice.
- Quality control and lab procedures such as: cell counting/viability testing, D.O., CO2 and packaged beer testing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Excel and Google spreadsheets, MS Outlook and Word.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask and meet aggressive deadlines efficiently and effectively
- Extraordinary attention to detail and accuracy.
Perks of the Paddle:
We offer competitive compensation, paid time off and a full benefits package for full time employees. Bent Paddle pays 50% of employee medical premiums and 25% for dependents. We also offer free employee Dental, Short Term Disability and $25k Life Insurance. We match up to 3% on our company sponsored Simple IRA program. We also offer two free Taproom yoga classes per month with Runa Yoga, use of various recreational gear (kayaks, SUP, canoes) state park and/or BWCAWpass reimbursement, beer, team building days and more!
You can find our application online at www.bentpaddlebrewing.com. Qualified and interested individuals should email their application and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Bent Paddle is proud to be an EOE.