Newport Craft Brewing & Distilling Company
Apply for this Job
We are looking for a highly qualified, inspired, energetic and creative brewer to join and lead our talented team. This position is a dynamic role which requires an organized, self-motivated, and reliable individual who will lead the brewery production team in a rapidly growing craft brewery.
The Head Brewer is responsible for day-to-day production brewing operations, including, but not limited to, brewing, cellar management, packaging product, production planning, general cleaning, operation and upkeep of equipment, and training junior brewers, all while maintaining quality control throughout all aspects of the brewing and cellar processes. The Head Brewer manages the Brewhouse team, fosters teamwork, and maintains shift cohesiveness. The Head Brewer is punctual, self-motivated, and leads by example. The Head Brewer maintains an engaging and positive team environment for the production brewing operation.
Hired individuals will be expected to work a minimum of 40 hour week. This position comes with competitive pay based on the candidate's qualifications and includes 401k and medical benefits. The following work experience will be evaluated as part of the hiring criteria:
Duties and responsibilities
- Build, develop, manage and lead a team of passionate production employees
- Oversee all brewery production to meet sales demands with the highest safety and quality standards with maximum attention to detail and accuracy. Including, but not limited to, milling, mashing, lautering, wort boiling, and transferring to fermenter
- Work cross functionally with sales, finance and management
- Manage and maintain production budgets
- Create and innovate new products to support consumer trends
- Enhance, follow, and maintain brewery SOPs
- Manage and monitor supply of raw materials and other inventory items
- Monitor water quality, gravities, temperatures, and carbonations
- Conduct yeast management (harvesting, pitching, counts/viabilities)
- Perform and oversee tank management (gravity checks, trub dumps and dry-hopping)
- Conduct and ensure CIP and sanitization on all vessels (fermenters, heat exchanger, filters, mash tun, kettle, and brite tanks)
- Maintain Quality Control of all brewing products
- Manage brewery Quality Assurance program
- Ensure all OSHA protocols are observed
- Maintain brewery and brewery equipment as well as general facility cleanliness
- Oversee and maintain production logs, inventory reports, packaging logs, etc.
- Maintain TTB reporting and record keeping
- Work closely with executive team and staff to maintain a current and comprehensive understanding of Newport Craft beer offerings, beer styles and new releases
- Cellar work including barrel/keg/tank filling, cleaning and sanitation
- Provide leadership for the brewery staff through education and training
- Participate in brewery promotions and beer education events as needed
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Valid Driver’s License, proof of insurance, and reliable transportation to work
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include some evenings and weekends as required
- Minimum 3 years leading and developing brewery teams
- Minimum 5 years in a professional brewery production position
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, growing company
- Strong work ethic and self-starting attitude
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to successfully build, lead and coach a team
- Ability to think critically and work unsupervised
- Communicate effectively with strong written and verbal skills.
- Excellent organization and strong project management skills
- Enthusiastic, energetic, and self-motivated towards achieving results.
- Personal integrity that displays professionalism, commitment, and follow through.
- Mechanical aptitude and understanding of mechanical systems
- Must be able to deliver and receive open and honest feedback
- Ability to operate forklift, hand truck, pallet jack and other warehouse equipment
- Ability to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protection equipment such as gloves and goggles
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma or GED (Required). College degree, or Advanced Brewing certificate (Preferred)
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in brewing operations. A minimum of 3 years in as assistant brewer.
- Must be 21 years of age
- Must be able to perform simple grasping, fine manipulation, and repetitive hand and arm movements
- Must be able to bend, squat, crawl, kneel, push, pull, and walk on uneven surfaces.
- Must be able to work in hot, cold, and wet environments
- Must be able to climb stairs, use a ladder, work at heights above 10 ft., and lift up to 60 lbs.
- Must be able to drive a vehicle
- Must be able to stand for prolonged periods
- Driver's License (Required)
- Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: $50,000 to $65,000/year base upon experience