Dean & Co. Brewery and Taproom
Apply for this Job
Dean & Co. is looking to add an Assistant Brewer to its growing operations team. The main function of the Assistant Brewer is to assist the Head Brewer in producing quality beer. An Assistant Brewer should have the ability to perform all tasks associated with the brewing process itself including brewing, fermentation, cellaring, finishing, packaging and sensory evaluation. The Assistant Brewer position requires a teamwork oriented, responsible, and self-motivated individual with a passion for craft beer
The Assistant Brewer performs their duties in accordance with the standard operating procedures which have been established by the Head Brewer and Director of Brewing Operations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- All aspects of brewhouse operation and wort production including but not limited to: milling, mashing, lautering, and wort boiling; safe and efficient transfer of wort to fermentation vessels; routine troubleshooting and maintenance; maintaining cleanliness and sanitation of all equipment and work areas; monitor and record process times, temperatures, gravities, and pH levels; collection of sterile samples for lab analysis.
- Cellar related tasks including but not limited to: yeast harvesting and maintenance, tank cleaning and sanitation, fining, transferring, dry-hopping, centrifugation, temperature control and record keeping.
- Packaging related tasks including but not limited to the operation of: can depalletizer, date coder, can filler, fill height monitor, PakTech; keg cleaner & filler.
- Adhere to cleaning and organizational regimen as laid out by Head Brewer and Director of Operations.
- Generate ideas to improve all brewing and cellaring processes.
- Mentor newer and less experienced employees.
- A minimum of either 1- 2 years of professional experience working in brewing operations on a commercial system
- Formal brewery training and/or certification is required
- Strong mechanical background; Strong cleaning/sanitizing background
- Flexible, accommodating, team-oriented, and self-motivated
- Forklift experience preferred
- Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Ability to lift 55 lbs. and move up to 165 lbs. using traditional methods
- Ability to ascend and descend a staircase and/or ladder repeatedly throughout shift
- Ability to work near moving mechanical parts
- Frequently exposed to strong and sometimes disagreeable odors and occasionally exposed to acidic/caustic-based chemicals
- Frequently exposed to wet conditions and work in extreme cold or heat
*All candidates must have and maintain an acceptable driving record and pass a pre-employment background check.
- Medical, Dental, Vision