QA / QC Manager
Dry Dock Brewing Co
Apply for this Job
Dry Dock Brewing Company, located in Aurora, CO, is seeking a full time QA / QC Manager. Dry Dock is a growing company which operates two separate breweries, a 7 BBL tasting room (South Dock) and a 40 BBL production facility (North Dock). Additionally, there is a second tasting room (Canoe Room) at North Dock. Dry Dock’s sister company is The Brew Hut, a homebrew supply shop, that is located adjacent to the South Dock tasting room. Dry Dock is a regional brewery and produced over 20,000 BBL in 2017.
Under the direction of the Director of Brewing Operations, the QA / QC Manager will manage all laboratory operations at our production facility as well as our smaller, tasting room brewery.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain a Quality Control program to include chemical analysis and microbial stability.
- Measure and track dissolved oxygen and CO2 levels.
- Develop and maintain company standards for raw ingredients.
- Analyze raw ingredient ingredients and ensure they meet company standards.
- Maintain and calibrate laboratory equipment.
- Maintain packaged beer archive for sensory panels.
- Manage sensory panels and record results for stability analysis and shelf life recommendations.
- Manage all yeast health. Including ordering, propagating, monitoring viability and pitch rates with input from brewers and Director of Brewing Operations.
- Analyze current procedures and make recommendations on additional equipment and testing procedures.
- Assist with troubleshooting production issues.
- Create, update and maintain standard operating procedures for lab.
- Occasionally teach classes for home brewers at The Brew Hut, a sister company of Dry Dock on QA/QC and yeast management.
- Train additional staff to assist where applicable.
- Work with Owners and Managing Brewery to handle customer complaints regarding quality issues.
- Responsible for FDA compliance and reporting, if required.
- Responsible for research and development regarding the QA / QC Department.
- Assist with OSHA regulations and compliance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Fermentation/Food Science or related field.
- Formal brewing education a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years prior experience in brewery laboratory environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate and cooperate with coworkers, Owners and management.
- Must have superior customer service and interpersonal relationship skills with special emphasis on problem-solving.
- Ability to work independently as well as strong team orientation and ability to work with diverse group of individuals.
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational and coordination skills.
- Responds positively and quickly to voicemails, emails, vendor and customer concerns in a timely manner, both internally and externally.
- Treats all employees with dignity and respect; creates an environment where the entire team does the same.
- Working knowledge of brewing chemistry and microbiology.
- Demonstrated understanding of safety standards and protocols; safety minded.
- Customer centric disposition; professional and interactive.
- Strong project and time management, attention to detail, and problem solving skills.
- Professional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills required.
- Ability to maintain confidential matters.
- Knowledge of business English and spelling.
- Ability to use computer, copier, printer, and multiple-line phone.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Ability to multitask and manage time while being detail oriented.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Strong mechanical background.
- Ability to work at a fast pace, in high pressure situations, while maintaining professionalism and composure.
- Flexible in schedule and adaptive to change.
- Need to be self-motivated.
- Standing for long periods of time.
- Frequent walking, bending, twisting, kneeling, climbing, stooping, crawling and crouching.
- Must be able to correctly lift up to 50 lbs to shoulder height and push or pull up to 160 lbs.
- Use hands, fingers to wrist and maintain fine digit manipulation and must be able to fully extend arms.
- Must be able to maintain adequate vision (with or without corrected lenses); able to distinguish colors for purposes of discussing products. Adequate peripheral vision is also necessary for safety purposes as are depth, distance, and ability to focus.
- In performance of job duties, employee is routinely required to communicate effectively with customers and coworkers.
Salary and Benefits:
Dry Dock offers a competitive salary, health care, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, 401k, life insurance and paid vacation.
Dry Dock Brewing Co. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital/familial status.
Please send resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with title “QA / QC Manager” in subject line. We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible. The position will remain open until it is filled.