Director Of Brewery Operations
Western New York Brewery
Apply for this Job
Well-established western New York brewery is currently seeking a Director of Brewing Operations to support its continued growth and expansion plans. This position, reporting directly to brewery ownership, will be a key member of the leadership team and oversee the entire production process; brewing, packaging and quality control.
• Coordinate with management team on production, planning, and forecasting
• Support brewery’s core values, focus, and mission statement
• Oversee and monitor daily manufacturing operations
- Weekly scheduling of brewery staff and activities
- Working alongside brewery’s distribution network to assure on-and-off premise demands are met
- Work and communicate well across all levels of a brewery operation (management, packaging, customer, suppliers)
- Work with taproom manager to ensure proper training and education for staff members
• Facilitate vetting, hiring, training, and supervision of production staff
- Maintain and update Inventory Management software – Ekos Brewmaster®
• Work alongside Head of Recipe Development and other brew staff for recipe development, quality control, and innovation.
• Oversee tracking and recording key measurements during the entire brewing process
• Work with QA/QC to improve yeast management (harvesting, pitching, storage)
• Take responsibility for finished liquid QA/QC
• Procurement of raw materials and management of current hop contracts
• Continue to develop on-going barrelhouse project
• Ensure all OSHA protocols are observed in the brewery and maintain records
• In-depth knowledge of all safe chemical-handling procedures including personal protection equipment such as gloves and goggles
• Responsible for all sanitation standards to be met in brewery and taproom
• Offer suggestions on process improvements
• Analyze and report trends in the industry
• Represent brewery at industry technical events, conferences, beer festivals, and other marketing events
• Conduct annual performance reviews with all direct reports
• Translate the overall business strategy into operational goals and objectives for the brewery
• Work with Accounting to review appropriate financial statements, sales and activity reports and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and identify and rectify areas for cost reduction and program improvement.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and climb stairs, stoop in close quarters, grip and manipulate fittings several times a day, and read and understand a variety of scientific instruments and calculations. The employee is occasionally required to kneel or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 55 pounds throughout the day. This includes lifting bags/boxes of hops, large process hoses, bags of filtrate, etc. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
- 5+ years of production brewery experience
- Brewing experience on 20+ bbl system is preferred
- Working knowledge of mechanical systems: brewhouse, chiller, boiler, keg washer, canning line
- Excellent leadership skills with the proven ability to lead and motivate a team and maintain a positive workplace culture. Ability to develop and manage productive relationships with staff members.