Senior Manager, Packaging Operations
Apply for Job
Love BADASS Beer? Love the sunshine in San Diego? We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Senior Manager, Packaging Operations to join our Team.
This is a key role in the organization that will work closely with the Production Team to drive results. You will be part of a nimble and fast-moving organization whose mission is to be the Global Standard Bearer for Independent Craft Beer. Stone is a Global Organization: Two breweries in the US, one in Germany, distribution to 40+ countries, and more than 10 restaurants and taprooms across 3 continents (US, China, and Europe). Ranked in the top 10 in terms of production, and top 5 in terms of revenue amongst Craft Breweries, Stone Brewing is an industry leader.
What you’ll be doing:
- Operate and improve comprehensive kegging, canning, and bottling infrastructure, programs and teams across all packaging operations.
- Work with Maintenance to develop and implement supporting equipment, parts, MRO, spare parts lifecycle, vendor and inventory management program, documentation, systems and operations.
- Work to establish preventative maintenance checklists to be performed by Packaging Technicians. Coordinate with Maintenance and IT to integrate this into ServiceNow and normal packaging operations. Work with Maintenance to conduct necessary preventive and corrective maintenance.
- Ensure team member safety, OSHA, Stone Brewing Co. and other code compliance in all activities.
- Develop cross-functional teams to guide and manage the operation and vendors.
- Monitor and track progress on all packaging operations. Own and drive OEE improvements.
- Ensure maintenance and tracking of raw materials, chemicals, PPE and other consumables. Ensure real-time consumption is implemented.
- Work with Engineering/Training/Maintenance to commission, support and set up maintenance programs for all new capital equipment installations and operations infrastructure.
- Drive continuous improvement in Packaging operations. Document, maintain, and track continuous improvements including but not limited to process improvements, operational efficiency improvements (5S/Lean), small projects and capital improvements.
- Drive cleaning and organizational values in Packaging at all times. Regularly perform inspections to verify these are consistently being met.
- Develop standardized programs, KPIs/metrics and reports to ensure process operating performance, ongoing improvements, risk identification, visibility and closed loop learning (e.g., design modifications).
- Work with Training and Engineering to develop SOPs and TOPs for all process operations.
- Ensure 100% compliance with all municipal, county and federal codes. Manage all related permits or permitting. Be primary point of contact for all related items.
- Educate the production team on best practices for achieving the highest sustainable performance. Work with others to develop and deliver team training and off-shift staff to effectively monitor and troubleshoot system and operations.
- Provide quick response to system issues that impact production quality and/or quantity.
- Develop annual budget and track expenses vs budget on a monthly basis; if possible, adjust expenses as needed to meet stated financial goals.
- Seek to reduce operating costs whenever possible without compromising quality, safety or efficiency.
- Conduct return on investment analyses when required in support of continuous improvement initiatives.
- Perform supervision of staff in accordance with Stone’s policies, core values and applicable law.
- Supervise, mentor, train staff, including staff scheduling, performance reviews and business plan goals as required. Establish performance requirements and development plans based on Stone’s annual business plans and direct reports personal and professional goals. Regularly monitor performance of assigned personnel and provide coaching for improvement and development. Subject to senior management and human resource concurrence, take action to address performance deficiencies, in accordance with personnel rules, policy and procedures.
- Establish and maintain a collaborative, partnering, team oriented work environment both within packaging and with all other Stone departments.
- Ensure coordination and work with Training Dept. to provide initial and ongoing training and ensure compliance with safety regulations and SOPs for Packaging staff. Ensure bi-weekly Supervisor/Training meetings are attended to ensure proper training and staff development are being met. If not, develop action plans to mitigate the issues.
- Maintain staffing levels at 90% - 95%. Work with Human Resources to identify candidates and conduct interviews within 2 weeks of staffing levels falling below these levels.
- Conduct monthly individual and team meetings to assess and maintain performance of staff and distribute company wide, safety and department information as required.
- Maximize cross-training and work assignments to the extent possible and rotate individuals to improve redundancy in all areas.
- Schedule and coordinate activities concerned with packaging operations and team closely with distribution and logistics teams.
- Collaborate with Sales, Planning and Logistics to assist in developing long term production plans.
- Identify needed long-term staff skills and develop plans to obtain these skills on the team.
- Develop and maintain 3-year plan to increase efficiency. Update plan annually. Plan will include capital and lean projects to increase efficiency, reliability, capacity, and safety. Work with Engineering to add these projects to the CapEx forecasts if warranted.
- Education: Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in Engineering, preferably in Mechanical, Electrical, or Industrial.
Experience: At least 10 years of directly related experience and demonstrated results implementing and managing beer packaging operations and achieving elevated performance levels; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated thorough knowledge of craft brewing industry and experience in brewing craft beer. Must have 10 years of demonstrated experience and familiarity with CMMS, ERP, production and inventory management systems developing and driving change adoption of them into the standard operations. Demonstrated results managing large scale brewing operations, multi-million $, complex projects, programs, portfolios, infrastructure, vendors and high performance teams. Experience using Reliability tools such as Pareto analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Reliability Centered Maintenance
(RCM), and Root Cause Analysis (RCA).
- Computer Skills: Proficiency with office and project management tools including Microsoft Project, SharePoint, MS Office Suite, etc. Experience w/ Microsoft Dynamics AX preferred or other ERP systems preferred.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Certified Cicerone, or Brewing Certifications exams preferred. Lean/6sigma certification or experience preferred. PMP certification, PMI equivalent credential/training and blackbelt or greenbelt training/certification desired or a combination of demonstrable equivalent experience/training.
- Language Skills: Must be able to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and written.
- Travel Requirements: Occasional weekend and evening work as well as overnight travel required. Occasional travel required to other Stone locations
Stone Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.
Pre-employment background check, drug screening, and physical are required.