Sierra Nevada Brewing Co
Apply for Job
The Quality Director is responsible to lead and direct all facets of the company’s Quality and Food Safety functions for our multi-brewery operation. The position provides leadership and direction for all quality assurance and quality control teams. The Quality Director will develop and oversee all of the food safety regulations, policies, and procedures. The Quality Director will help to enhance, maintain and enforce security and food safety standards, policies, and programs including, regulatory audits, food safety training programs, standard operating procedures (SOP’s), product inspections, and standardized work instructions. This position will provide leadership and direction on a cross functional basis guided by our values of Quality, Integrity, People, Sustainability, and Community.
- Enhance Quality Policies and initiatives to drive improvement across the entire organization
- Enhance and maintain a Quality Management Program aligned with industry best practices in traceability, and documentation structure
- Maintain and Drive a Safe working environment among the Quality staff and Sierra Nevada organization
- Drive vision and mission to continue to build a world class Quality organization working through others
- Develop Quality subject matter experts (SME’s) throughout the Sierra Nevada production teams and sales organization
- Visibly champion Quality to stakeholders both within Sierra Nevada and external partners
- Influence continued focus on Quality innovation across all functional areas within Sierra Nevada
- Develop and implement product Quality plan to achieve targets aligned with Sierra Nevada’s strategic plan. Track, analyze and communicate key Quality metrics
- Provide direction to QA Managers to enable organizational alignment and achievement of the Quality plan
- Create and maintain a Quality Audit System across Sierra Nevada’s supply chain
- Build capability for continuous improvement through the development of Quality tools, training and resources. Foster adoption of continuous improvement tools and methods across Sierra Nevada
- Ensure the development of scalable systems, analytical capability and communication to drive performance management processes
- Develop and drive new methods to reduce product quality non-conformances by using data to drive change
- Partner with external companies and organizations to develop Quality system improvements
- Collaborate with Sourcing and Procurement to identify Quality criteria for all sourced raw and packaging materials
- Refine and maintain a supplier audit framework collaborating with procurement to drive improvements in supplier quality
- Foster effective collaboration and communication on Quality with all internal stakeholders (Sales, Production Management, Supply Chain Management)
- Provide guidance and recommend solutions all Supplier related Quality issues including facilitating partnership meetings and corrective action procedures
- Provide guidance and recommend solutions to internal teams on Quality related production issues
- Provide guidance and support to Trade Relations to facilitate corrective actions around consumer feedback
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field required (Brewing Science, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Engineering or Food Science preferred)
- A minimum of 7 years quality experience in a manufacturing environment in fast moving consumer goods, beer, wine or spirits industry is required.
- A minimum of 7 years of leading, managing and developing employees is required
- 15 years of progressive experience role in a manufacturing environment in fast moving consumer goods, beer, wine or spirits is highly desired
- Master’s Degree Preferred
- Knowledge of critical beer analysis equipment preferred (Beer analyzers, GCMS, Anton Paar, EBI’s)
- Knowledge of beer spoiler organisms, wild yeasts, bacteria, and other biological risks to products is required
- Experience with continuous improvement methods desired ( LEAN, six sigma, DFSS)
- Experience in Organic Certification preferred
- Proven track record in delivering best in class manufacturing to support commercial activities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Understanding of USDA/FDA regulations, HARPC/HACCP, ISO, GMPs, SOPs
- Ability to effectively build productive, efficient, engaged teams
- Results driven is focused and driven to deliver agreed targets on revenue and margin.
- Shared Company Values
- Excellent listening, written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Expert-level problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to effectively prepare and manage large and complex budgets
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; outdoor weather conditions; extreme cold (non-weather); extreme heat (non-weather) and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet, but may occasionally be moderate or require hearing protection.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must be able to safely lift or maneuver 30 pounds without assistance and with proper body mechanics. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Must have a valid Driver License with an exemplary driving record free of any major violations in the last FIVE years
- Up to 30% travel required, primarily for site collaboration and training
- You must possess and provide verification of your valid California Food Handler’s Card prior to start date
- The selected candidate will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check.
- You must be at least 21 years of age to work for Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
** This position will remain open until filled; online applications will be reviewed weekly **
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer