Director of Brewing Operations
The Beer'd Brewing Co.
Apply for this Job
The Beer’d Brewing Company is in the process of rolling out an additional 6,000 barrels of capacity with the addition of a second brewing facility located in Groton, CT. Beer’d Brewing was opened in 2012 with a three-barrel brewhouse focusing on hop forward Ales, and has grown to produce nearly 3,000 BBL’s per year. With a taproom foreword approach The Beer’d Brewing Company also maintains a sizeable self-distribution model within the Connecticut draft market and partners with wholesalers for distribution in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. The addition of a Full Time Director of Brewing Operations to our team will be imperative as we roll out additional volume throughout all sales channels. The ideal candidate will have hands-on operational brewing experience, be passionate, committed to and relentlessly quality-focused, while also cognizant of the importance of listening, mentorship, teamwork, and the company’s core focus.
This position will oversee production schedules and ensure implementation of all standard operating procedures to maintain consistency, quality and efficiency throughout the production process. A thorough understanding of all aspects of beer production, including grain handling, yeast management, filtration, packaging and QA/QC is required.
The Director of Brewing Operations reports to the Chief Operating Officer and leads all functions and processes related to brewing, cellaring, packaging, operational maintenance, and quality assurance. Responsibilities include managing and directing activities across two brewing locations, oversight and sourcing of all brewing and packaging materials, constantly seeking innovation in the development process, and continually improving methods to impact quality, consistency and efficiency. As part of The Beer’d Brewing Company management team, the Director of Brewing Operations will work with others inside the company to develop and achieve the company’s long-term and short-term goals. The Director of Brewing Operations will also work with management and contractors on the implementation of our new twenty-barrel brewhouse and additional capacity.
Responsibilities• Supports The Beer’d Brewing Co.’s Core Values and Focus
• Oversee and monitor daily plant operations, provide assistance when necessary
• Coordinate with management team on production planning and forecasting
• Oversee the entire brewing process from milling to readying liquids for filling and packaging
• Ensure all safety protocols are observed in brewing and cellaring; train, reinforce and improve a safety culture and attitude in plant operations
• Manage the brewhouse and cellar teams across multiple locations
• Oversee tracking and recording key measurements during the entire brewing process
• Oversee and improve yeast management (harvesting, pitching, storage)
• Develop and maintain management and vendor relationships
• Procure raw materials
• Offer insight on CIP and sanitization improvements and energy and water conservation
• Review and revision of all brewhouse and cellar SOP’s
• Offer insight on troubleshooting, technical maintenance and adherence to SOP’s
• Oversee data collection in brewhouse software environment
• Guide others to identify brewhouse equipment, facilities and talent to meet future growth projections
• Work and communicate well across all levels of a brewery operation (management, packaging, customer, suppliers, etc.)
• Take responsibility for finished liquid QA/QC
• Manage collection of data relative to beer and cellaring QA/QC
• Offer suggestions on process improvements to cellaring techniques
• Represent Beer’d at industry technical events, conferences, and marketing events
• Comply with all safe chemical handling procedures including personal protection equipment such as gloves and goggles
• Hold all crew members accountable to operating within brewery procedures
• Conduct annual performance reviews with all direct reports
• Oversee brewhouse and cellar sanitation in all locations
• Ensure compliance with all Alcohol and Tobacco, Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) standards and required documentation
• Facilitate vetting, hiring, and training of production staff
• Assist in the development of department budget, planning, and forecasting as well as directing production staff as they implement daily operational activities
• Translate the overall business strategy into operational goals and objectives for the brewery
• Work with Accounting to review appropriate financial statements, sales and activity reports and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement. Identify and rectify areas for cost reduction and program improvement.
• Ability to become a Certified Cicerone within two years
Other Requirements• Must be able to bend, squat, kneel, push, pull and walk on uneven surfaces on an occasional basis
• Must be able to climb stairs both inside and outside and ladders
• Occasionally lift up to 60 lbs
• Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and QuickBooks.
• Solid working knowledge with brewery ERP systems (Ekos, Keg Id, Orchestrated Beer, etc) and POS systems (Square, Breadcrumb, etc)
• Ability to create a strategy to implement continual improvements in brewing and packaging processes including automation to meet demand and to improve consistency, quality and efficiency
• Demonstrated ability to create and deliver engaging, straight forward, and detail-oriented presentations to a wide variety of audiences
Education, Experience and Skills
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Prior experience on a minimum 15-barrel brewhouse in a full production brewery
• Experience working in a multi facility organization desired
• A minimum 5 years practical, professional brewing, packaging, maintenance and quality control experience
• 2+ Years management and leadership experience required
• Experience creating, experimenting and brewing multiple styles of beer
• Prior knowledge of barrel-aging and brewing sours is a plus
• In depth knowledge of yeast strains, hop varieties, grain varieties, grain roasts, etc.
• Ability to communicate effectively
• Ability to work in a fast-paced and constantly changing work environment
• Writing and math skills are necessary to accurately complete a dilution calculation, volume, flow, density, weight, length, pressure and other unit conversions, calculate beer volumes/losses and alcohol content
• Strong work ethic and self-starter
• Excellent interpersonal skills and team collaboration
• High level of attention to detail and strong communication skills
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Some flexibility in hours is allowed, however employees are expected to be available during the “core” work hours of 8:00am- 5:00pm. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Must be open and able to travel by all methods. This position requires occasional travel to breweries and other taproom locations. Occasional travel outside the local area and overnight stays may be required.
Work Environment• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• The employee may work with hazardous materials and utilities.
• The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
• The employee may at times work around high voltage, flame, hot water, steam, broken glass, and CO2 sources.
• The employee frequently works in a sanitary environment.
• The employee may sometimes work near moving mechanical parts.
Compensation based on experience. Benefits include PTO, Paid Holidays, Health Insurance, 401(k) retirement plan and free beer.
Qualified candidates please submit a cover letter and resume.
**NO WALK-INS and/or PHONE CALLS
***Must be at least 21 years of age