Director of Brewing Operations
Apply for this Job
Brouwerij West is looking for an outstanding, passionate leader to join our team and partner with us for our next exciting growth phase.
Our Director of Brewing Operations will oversee and manage all aspects of brewing production and operations on a day-to-day basis,
- Oversee and manage the brewing and packaging operations on a day-to-day basis. The Director is responsible for holding all brewing, packaging, cellar and warehouse staff to company management standards.
- Maintain and ensure consistent and sound brewing procedures and practices for all tasks through formalized SOPs, training and certification as needed.
- Communicate clear objectives to the production teams.
- Enforce consistent and efficient standards for
operationof brewhouse, cellar, newly-commissioned centrifuge and hop gun, and other brewing and packaging equipment, including CIP and maintenance.
- Work along with Brewmaster and Production Manager to develop and carry out production plans.
- Audit current processes to maximize efficiency and make continual improvements to quality, safety, profitability and environmental initiatives.
- Ensure a safe work environment and culture that promotes safe habits. Understand workplace risks, regulatory compliance and make continuous improvements to safety performance.
- Enforce accurate monitoring and recording of volume, temperature, gravity and other production and quality control measurements. Promptly enter all necessary calculations into our systems, including our production software (Orchestrated Beer) using production floor iPads or written worksheets.
- Communicate and respond to out-of-specification measurements at established points in the brewing and packaging process.
- Enforce cleanliness and orderly function in all parts of the brewhouse, production process and packaging line.
- Evaluate staffing needs and oversee scheduling of brewing and production staff.
- Develop a safe, accountable, collaborative, fun brewing work environment that ensures our staff grows in both skill and professional development.
- Maintain annual document performance plans for brewing and production staff and conduct annual performance reviews with senior management.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation and management of the processes, wort, beer and packaging quality on a daily basis.
- Establish targets and then monitor data to improve ongoing analytical and sensory performance for
consistentprocess, flavor, aroma, clarity, color and all aspects of beer production.
- Assist in the training of brewing and production staff, including new hires.
- Additional duties and projects, as assigned, including but not limited to representing the brewery at industry festivals and conferences.
- Comprehensive know-how of the beer brewing and packaging processes, including working knowledge of centrifuges and hop guns.
- At least 2 years of management experience in a beer manufacturing facility.
- Formal training and certification from a brewing school and/or significant prior experience managing brewhouse and packaging operations.
- Knowledge of complex systems, automated processes
- Experience maintaining and repairing manufacturing equipment strongly preferred (including brewhouses, centrifuges, pumps, forklifts and labelers).
- Attention to detail, especially to the accurate recording and analysis of quality control data., and the ability to encourage production professionals to take ownership of these tasks.
- Exceptional ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and stay on deadline.
- Great verbal and written communication skills and the ability to multi-task as the leader of a small team.
- Experience empowering production employees to embrace accountability and autonomy
- Eagerness to learn, employ and to enforce employee buy-in and use of our customized brewing production and accounting software, Orchestrated Beer (based on SAP Business One). Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word programs and Google Suite (Drive, Sheets, Docs) preferred.
Reasonableflexibility of work schedule including the ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays to meet scheduled production runs.
- Ability to lift and move 55 pounds repeatedly. Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time, as well as stoop, crawl, climb and work in tight or
active / crowdedspaces. Willingness to work in all weather conditions.
- Forklift and pallet jack proficiency required.
This is a full-time, salaried position. Pay and benefits commensurate with experience.
Brouwerij West is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to workforce diversity. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.
Brouwerij West is a unique and fast-growing craft brewery and venue located in the San Pedro neighborhood of Los Angeles. Our brand was founded in 2010 and we opened our San Pedro brewery in February 2016 in a former Port of LA Warehouse initially built by the U.S. Navy during World War II. The operation encompasses 26,000 square feet of the Crafted at the Port of Los Angeles facility, including 8,000 square feet devoted to visitor use for our tasting room and events, as well as a 17,000 square foot outdoor courtyard and beer garden. We brew our beers using traditional ingredients and methods mixed with creative inspiration to produce our take on classic Belgian-style and farmhouse ales, mixed-fermentation beers, IPAs, lagers and more. We love art and have a strong bent for innovative design and packaging of our beers. Brouwerij West is committed to doing our part to protect our planet’s environment: our new facility is covered with solar panels and generates more electricity than it uses, and our mash filter-based brewhouse uses 30% less water than traditional breweries.