Pecan Street Brewing
Apply for this Job
Pecan Street Brewing (PSB) is a family owned BrewPub located on the historic courthouse square in Johnson City, Texas. We are nestled in the heart of the Texas Hill Country 1 block north of Hwy 290/Main St – more commonly known as “The TX Beverage Trail”. We offer Texas Size Hospitality at our BrewPub with a full restaurant/bar and brewery serving our local community and touring guests. PSB opened in June of 2011 and has enjoyed consistent growth each year.
PSB currently has a 7BBL brew system with 4 fermenter tanks. We average 8 to 10 beers on tap and have a portfolio of 50 + recipes. All our beer is only sold in pints, growlers and crowlers at the brewpub (we do not distribute at this time). We are looking to expand the brewing system to keep pace with demand.
We are looking for a Brew Master who shares our dedication, work ethic, and passion for craft beer. Someone who thrives in a hands-on, small production brewery setting. And loves to have FUN!
The Brew Master is responsible for all aspects of the brewing and cleaning process. They are able to see “the big picture” and align strategic vision to work flow execution. Executing a brewing plan that meets demands efficiently and effectively while protecting the quality of the CRAFT. The Brew Master contributes to a healthy team culture by maintaining a positive attitude, working with a variety of individuals and managing their staff. The ideal candidate displays strong personal leadership skills, communicates effectively and goes above and beyond.
- Brew House Operations – all responsibilities of wort production (including milling, mashing, boiling, grain-out, brewing house vessel clean-in-place (CIP), and detailed record keeping.
- Cellar-related Operations – all responsibilities for fermentation and conditioning management, including fermenter/brite beer tank (BBT) CIP & sanitation, monitoring fermentation, dry-hopping, yeast management, transferring beers between tanks, monitoring conditioning and detailed record keeping.
- Packaging Operations: Kegging, keg washing
- Strict adherence to sanitation protocol of the brewing equipment, including cleaning and sanitizing, maintenance and troubleshooting, including pumps, heat exchangers, filters, gas regulators, keg couplers, etc.
- Own brew schedule. Keep it up to date and accurate, monitor production and sales to ensure continuous availability of flagships and timely release of seasonal beers.
- Execute proper sampling and analysis of product in accordance with schedule, monitor vital fermentation critical control points including but not limited to target gravity, pH, temperatures and pressures.
- Further develop quality control programs across the business with goal of continuous improvement in product and process
- New recipe formulation and development, including special batch collaboration with brewing partners (i.e. Garrison Brothers Bourdon).
- Monitor and report inventories of beer and raw materials, including grain, hops, yeast and chemicals and order as needed.
- Train and oversee assistant brewer in various responsibilities
- Maintain proper draft line cleaning and maintenance at the bar
- Work closely and communicate with effectively with Owners and peer staff to execute and pass off tasks effectively
- Maintain a sanitary environment, which includes but not limited to cleaning floors, walls and tanks.
- Represent PSB at local events and festivals: attend event and setup and serve
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- +2 years as a Brew Master – 4-6 yrs brewing
- Industry education preferred (not required)
- Proven brewery knowledge including chemistry & biology
- Strong Problem Solving skills and mechanical & electrical troubleshooting skills
- Adherence to workplace safety procedures… ability to work in confined spaces and strong knowledge of brewery hazards
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and reach with hands and arms, stoop, crouch, bend, twist.
- Ability to work near moving mechanical parts safely
- Frequent exposure to wet conditions, humidity, heat, cold, loud noises
- Safely handle caustic and acidic chemicals and sanitizers and know proper time, temperature, and application.
- Multitasking & time management skills
- Excellent written & verbal skills
- Computer literacy
- Self-motivation as well as ability to work efficiently as part of team
- Ability to lead, manage, motivate and inspire
- Flexibility (some weekends)
- Physical strength, flexibility and stamina required – ability to lift full kegs (+60lbs) and full grain bags (+80lbs). Going up and down stairs.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This position has a salary + bonus compensation plan which is dependent on experience and qualifications.
- Paid Time Off (PTO) – based on experience and level per company policy
- AFLAC supplemental insurance available for purchase including company sponsored AFLAC benefits
- Branded SWAG
- Meal & Beer Program
- Continuing education