Head Brewer/Brewmaster (Minister of Beer)
Brew Republic Bierwerks
Apply for this Job
Brew Republic Bierwerks, a fast-growing microbrewery and #ANewNationOfBeer is seeking a self-motivated, hardworking, and dependable individual with a do-what-it-takes attitude to lead our brewing operation in the Washington, DC metro area. The ideal candidate will be a technically gifted, experienced master brewer who can both take control of existing products while maintaining quality and consistency, as well as look ahead in developing creative and innovative new products.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Someone looking to be an integral part of our business, helping to lead and shape our growth, committed to the long term, and can take responsibility for all aspects of production while also being a hands-on leader;
- Will thrive in a hands-on, small production brewery setting, with the ability to operate in any position within the brewery;
- Who has strong organizational and communication skills and the mind-set to understand the big picture;
- Is passionate about, committed to and be relentless on product-quality; and is energized and enthused to be part of a ground up brand building;
- And someone who is all in on what we’re doing and building.
This is a position among our senior management team, collaborating and contributing to the future direction of the company.
- An advanced understanding of all aspects of brewing.
- Solid experience with a 10BBL system, and is well prepared to oversee a 30BBL system in the future.
- Experience on a pilot/micro-system.
- Ability to manage a brewing operation in a small, confined space, and later, brewing operations at two or more locations.
- Prior packaging, bottling, and racking experience.
- Experience managing contracting/production of beer off site.
- Advanced knowledge of the science of brewing, including chemistry and biology.
- Intimate knowledge of classic and modern beer styles as well as creative drive to innovate, push boundaries and produce new exciting work.
- Have a passion for improving and mastering methods, with specific experience in lagering.
- Mechanical and electrical troubleshooting skills.
- Multitasking and time management skills.
- Computer literacy.
- Must have the schedule availability/flexibility to work long and/or odd hours as needed to complete tasks and maintain the brewing operations.
- Physical strength, flexibility and stamina required.
- Ability to work safely with hazardous materials including CO2, acids, caustics and sanitizers.
- Strong organizational habits, a self-motivated work ethic, and good critical thinking/problem solving skills.
- Must have valid driver's license.
- Must be reliable, communicate well and manage time well.
- Strong collaborative nature and a positive, can-do attitude.
- Responsible for the entire brewing operation including: recipe development, raw material procurement, brewing operations, finished good processing, inventories in all stages of production and ordering.
- Owning the brewing schedule and forecasting.
- Manage product inventory and availability (in-house and at distributor warehouse) in collaboration with sales team and distributor(s)
- Maintain detailed logs, including notes of inconsistencies, and perform required record keeping.
- Facilitate both accurate and timely state and federal excise reporting.
- Quality control and assurance throughout the process.
- Stewardship (proper use, maintenance, cleaning, etc) of all brewery equipment, tap lines, jockey boxes, etc. and production areas.
- Be resident tap/beer expert, responsible for training and education of the staff to understand our beers, beer styles, pairing, proper pouring, etc., as well as maintaining tap system and operation.
- Full management of brewing personnel.
- Spearhead projects related to brewing operations; planning, organization, execution and completion.
- Heavy lifting of raw materials required in the brewing process.
- Troubleshoot with quickness and vigor.
- Representation at trade shows, festivals and local beer events.
- Brew consistently excellent beer with accurate record keeping.
Below are the core values that form the foundation of our measurement of success:
We believe in providing legendary service. Our goal is to provide the kind of unique and genuine sort of personal care and attention that our citizens tell stories about.
We believe that good enough isn’t. We never stop trying to do it better, no matter how good we are. We constantly strive to “raise the bar, or take things to the next degree (Google the 212 Principle; we’re strong believers).
We believe in saying ”yes.” We strive to, whenever possible, find a way to say ”yes” to our citizens, as well as our co-workers. Obviously, everything isn’t always possible, but we give our best effort to be can-do people.
We believe in honesty and trust. We work to build trust with others in each and every transaction and interaction. We recognize that honesty and trust form the bond that holds organizations and relationships together.
We believe in the ongoing training and development of our people. We see it as a worthy investment in the future of the brewery and as a way of enabling our people to achieve their potential in whatever they do.
We believe our continued success depends on teamwork. We know that great achievements are only possible from helping and respecting each other.
We believe in doing business in a professional and orderly manner. We take great pride in having good systems, standardized procedures, and being organized.
We believe in being responsible to others and to ourselves. We do what we say we are going to do when we say we are going to do it. We believe in personal accountability and avoid blaming others when things don’t turn out as planned.
Finally, we expect you to work like an owner and think like a customer.
We offer a competitive salary, health care (with vision and dental) benefits, paid time off and holidays, paid professional education and conferences, and the ability to become an owner through an equity earning schedule. Of course, we also have a generous beer benefit so that you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.
This is more than a job. Rather, this is the opportunity for a career and a long-term future. We are looking for someone who goes to work every day determined to be part of a long term team that’s building something that will endure.
Interested candidates should send their resume/cv and any other relevant info to jobs at brewrepublic dot-beer. We are looking to move aggressively to hire immediately.