Cellar Manager- Massachusetts
Ipswich Ale Brewery
Apply for this Job
The Lead Cellarman is a hands-on management position, responsible for leading and managing our day-to-day cellar operations. In this role, you will work alongside and manage a dedicated cellar staff, assign and clean tanks, transfer beers, adhere to quality management SOPs, operate the centrifuge, and perform equipment maintenance as necessary. The Lead Cellarman is also required to maintain a neat, clean, and sanitary environment throughout the brewery’s cellar.
As a lead staff member of Ipswich Ale Brewery you will be expected to represent and advocate for your department as well as provide progress reports on department metrics, strategies, and communicate relevant information to both management and back to your team.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Specifically, the responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following activities:
- Monitor fermentations-check gravities, identify irregularities, record data, dry hopping, cap and chill tanks
- Working with Lab staff ensure proper handling procedures are followed for yeast and yeast harvesting to assure contamination free transfers and pitches.
- Complete beer transfers: check product for readiness, set up, transfer and cleanup according to SOP.
- Ensure clean transfers at low D.O. levels in a timely manner.
- Set up, maintain and operate centrifuge for beer clarification.
- Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and on time.
- Use proper safety equipment and personal protection equipment.
- Monitor inventory levels of all items used in the cellar from chemicals to hops.
- Ensure that safety procedures are adhered to throughout your area of responsibility.
- Communicate regularly and efficiently with Head Brewer, Production Manager, Packaging Manager and Cellar Staff.
- Ensure that you are punctual, professional in appearance, have a positive “can-do” attitude, and act as a good example for the rest of the staff in these areas.
- Must have 5 plus years professional brewing experience
- Knowledge of Orchestrated beer a plus
- Ability to effectively manage others and demonstrate a strong work ethic
- Ability to multi-task while being detail and quality focused
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing,
- Ability to work independently and direct staff towards company goals
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret data collected by lab personnel and apply it to the improvement of cellar processes
- Ability to draw on experience to analyze and solve practical problems which may arise during the fermentation process
- Candidate should have at minimum working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands, reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must be able to work on their feet for 8 hours per day. The employee is regularly required to lift 44lb hop boxes, climb stairs, work in close quarters, grip & manipulate Tri-clamps and drag hoses, several times a day. Employee is occasionally required lift and maneuver a keg (165lbs).
Competitive rate for an experienced individual with the right skills.
Ipswich Ale Brewery offers a benefits package including 50% paid premiums for employee health insurance, access to group dental coverage, Sick Leave 5 days, 401(k) retirement plan with company match, paid holidays and paid vacation.