Circa Brewing Co - Head Brewer - Downtown Brooklyn NY
Circa Brewing Co
Apply for this Job
Circa Brewing Company is a Brewery & Brick Oven Pizza Restaurant in downtown Brooklyn. We operate an on premises 7bbl brewhouse which includes 6 fermentation tanks and 6 brite beer tanks. Craft and design are central to our core values and philosophies and we are looking for an experienced, creative Head Brewer whose core values and philosophies align with ours. The ideal candidate will have a Fermentation Science, Microbiology, Chemistry or similar science focused degree or graduation from an accredited brewing program, education may be substituted for experience. (5+ years of professional experience in a brewpub or production brewery environment.)
- Intimate knowledge of classic beer styles as well as creative drive to innovate, push boundaries and produce new exciting work.
- In depth knowledge of beer history.
- Responsibly source the finest ingredients, develop recipes, manage raw materials, inventory control and ordering.
- Obsessive attention to sanitation, sanitary practices and quality control.
- Cellar tasks including CIP/SIP of fermentation vessels and brites, kegs, finished beer transfers, general cleaning, sanitation and sterilization techniques and beer tasting.
- Yeast management: including ordering, pitching, harvesting and propagation. Monitor yeast cell counts during fermentation and conditioning: this includes sanitary yeast handling and ability to utilize lab equipment.
- You must excel at troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Ability to work safely with hazardous materials including CO2, acids, caustics and sanitizers.
- A desire to be Circa’s interface to the public. You should like people, enjoy answering questions and look forward to participating in events, giving brewery tours and brewing in public. We need you to create, grow and tell the Circa story.
- Be an exhaustive researcher and student of brewing, attend educational workshops; review professional publications; establish personal networks; benchmark state-of-the-art practices.
- Training brewery staff and conducting beer education classes for all FOH and BOH staff.
- Ensuring OSHA compliance in brewery.
- Work closely with management to meet budgets, develop production schedules, monitor costs, report on items necessary for management to track profitability, ensure State/Federal compliance and file all necessary documentation for reporting.
- Participating in weekly brewery production meeting with management.
- Maintain detailed logs, including notes of inconsistencies, and perform required record keeping.
- Intermediate computer skills needed.
- Social media and PR requirements, must be comfortable in front of the camera. As we craft our story we will look to you to communicate it with print & broadcast media.
Compensation & Benefits:
This is more than a Head Brewer position. The right candidate will work with us to build a brand and pioneer new work. We believe this is an incredible opportunity for the right person. Salary commensurate with experience; Bonus based on performance; Paid personal time off; professional education and conference allowance. We are prepared to offer a very competitive package to the appropriate candidate.
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply below.