21st Amendment Brewery
Apply for Job
Job Title: Head Brewer
Reports To: Brewery Operations Manager
Location: San Leandro, CA
We Are Looking For You!
Are you a Head Brewer with Leadership Experience? Are you a good with multi-tasking, problem solving and constantly looking for innovative ideas at work? How about helping create a safe(r) work environment through your previous experience & knowledge?
If this sounds like you then keep on reading! 21st Amendment Brewery has a great opportunity for candidates that have Head Brewer experience along with management experience to lead, motivate and be a part of making great beer.
What The Job Involves:
- Lead the brewhouse and cellar operations within the 21A San Leandro Production Brewery.
- Manage raw ingredients to bright beer tank. Operate automated 4-vessel, 100 bbl. Brewhouse. Current cellar capacity is >75,000 bbls. Cellar expansion occurring in 2018.
- Provide leadership, planning, and technical direction to department employees.
- Be involved in the hiring and transition of new members of the brewing team.
- Ensure a clean, sanitary, and “showcase brewery” work environment.
- Continuously champion the company’s safety program in a pro-active manner and maintain a safe working environment in accordance with all laws, regulations, standards, and best practices.
- Develop, review, and revise Standard Operation Procedures that meet the stringent quality standards for our beer production.
- Focus on managing yeast health, fermentation, harvesting, and general yeast management.
- The ability to assess performance and continuously review innovative abilities within the department.
- A complete willingness to fill in labor gaps and have a “hands on” approach in the brewhouse and cellar areas.
- The ability to accomplish work with limited information and utilize experiential knowledge and technical understanding in a pragmatic approach.
- Have strong and effective communication methods in working with various levels of the company to ensure adequate and timely information is shared.
- Work closely with the Quality Assurance and Packaging Department.
- Participate in the 21A Safety Leadership Committee.
- Continuously lead the acquisition of new members of the brewing team.
- Perform 90-day and annual performance reviews for all department employees.
- Provide long-term department growth plans including capital expenditure budget, operating expenses budget and staffing requirements.
Our Ideal Candidate Has:
- A four-year degree in related-Science field (example: Chemistry, Microbiology or Food Science). In lieu of a 4-year science degree, a brewing certificate such as Siebel, UC Davis, American Brewers Guild is preferred.
- 5 years of production brewing experience >15,000 bbls/year ideally. Automation experience required.
- In addition, 3-5 years of management experience.
- Have the ability to provide a description of skills, responsibilities and expectations of job levels.
- Capable of standing for long periods of time and to perform physically demanding work.
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds. The ability to raise your arms over your head and twist around.
- Capable of safe and competent work on and around potentially hazardous machinery, equipment, chemicals and systems
- Able to work in an environment with high noise level.
The successful candidate will require a valid driver’s license and an excellent driving record.
What’s In It For You?
- Competitive Wages
- Vacation, Sick & Holiday Pay
- Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic Life AD&D, Voluntary Life AD&D, LTD
- Prescription Drug Program Options
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- 401K Program
- Job Growth Opportunities & Training
And of course…. a Monthly Beer Allowance on some pretty great BEER along with other additional perks! We are a rapidly growing company and a lot of fun to be around…just check us out on our website, Facebook, IG and Twitter!
Apply HERE today!
Please attach your resume and cover letter to your application. In your cover letter please tell us what your goals are for your career, your goals for this position, and why you feel you’re a good fit. We look forward to hearing from you!
21st Amendment Brewery provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, 21st Amendment Brewery complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.