Temperance Beer Co
Apply for this Job
Temperance Beer Co, founded in 2013, is the first and oldest brewery in Evanston, IL, just north of Chicago. In addition to the production brewery, there is a tap room. We are close-knit group of around 15 staff, so chemistry is a key component for any new hire. We are a fun-loving group that works hard in a relaxed environment. We've won GABF gold and silver, FOBAB bronze, and three straight years of champion or runner-up at Day of the Living Ales.
The Packaging Lead (PL) is a key role in the brewery, responsible for day-to-day packaging of our beers as well as the maintenance and upkeep of the packaging equipment. The PL reports to Brewers and works closely with the Brewery Operations Manager to run brewery packaging as efficiently as possible. The PL must be passionate about crafting fantastic beer, take pride in the work, contribute to a fun and enjoyable workplace while striving to help create products that put a smile on the face of Temperance Beer drinkers.
- Strong work ethic, time management, organizational, and communication skills
- Punctuality, responsibility, honesty, trustworthiness, and enthusiastic attitude
- Ability to work alone and with a team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Flexible work schedule, including occasional nights and weekends
- One year general brewery/production experience
- Must possess a mechanical aptitude
- Must be serious about safety, quality, and cleanliness
- Passion for beer, hard work, and fun
- Passion and willingness to learn and grow with the company
- Forklift operation certification a plus, as is the ability to shotgun beers
Duties & Responsibilities
The following reflects our definition of essential job functions but is not an exhaustive list and does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. We may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to brewery needs.
- Manage and operate all aspects of packaging, including keg filling, canning on a Palmer Canning 12-head rotary filler, and keg cleaning
- Create, maintain, and follow SOPs for all packaging equipment
- Adhere to established job protocols and PPE safety standards for all brewery tasks
- Work safely and demonstrate cooperation with co-workers
- CIP tanks and equipment and assist with brewery cellar operations as needed
- Coordinate/schedule temporary workers for canning days
- Complete all work with an eye toward low dissolved-oxygen (DO) values
- Make mechanical repairs to canning and kegging equipment
- Follow preventative maintenance schedules for all equipment
- Carbonate brite beer
- Maintain general upkeep, cleanliness, and sanitation of brewery
- Proudly & professionally represent Temperance at occasional events & festivals outside the brewery, including events held at night and on weekends
- Assist with keeping accurate inventory counts and production logs
- Ability to lift and stack 20 lb cases of beer, 44 lb boxes of hops, 55 lb bags of grain, and 65 lb kegs
- Ability to manipulate and/or move up to 170 lb kegs
- Periodic handling of chemicals
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to stand and/or sit for long periods of time Other required actions include but are not limited to: walking, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, twisting, bending, and crouching
- The job also requires manual dexterity and the ability to quickly move hands, grasp, manipulate, or assemble
- Operation of a motor vehicle/forklift
There is a 90-day probationary period for this position during which the employee will be compensated with an hourly wage.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. We offer group medical, dental, life and disability insurance for full-time employees. Also included is vacation time, beer discounts, Temperance swag, and a fun work environment!