Fremont Brewing Co
Apply for Job
Fremont Brewing is hiring a full-time Sensory Scientist that will be a part of our Quality Department and report to the Quality Manager. The responsibility of the Sensory Scientist will be to build, plan, and maintain regular sensory panels which monitor beer quality and drive quality assurance. This job requires a broad laboratory skill-set in addition to facilitating the sensory program, they will also be cross trained in the QA Laboratory and will provide back-up help when necessary.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Responsibilities & Expectations
- Employee Training: provide efficient training for production, sales, and taproom staff to boost off-flavor recognition and general engagement with our product.
- At-the-Line: maintain and monitor simple Go/ No Go tasting process for the packaging and brewing teams. Provide training for teams so they are confident providing feedback.
- Daily Sensory Panel: gathers daily beer samples and presents them to a panel of senior and junior tasters. Guides and develops this panel with the goal of gathering data on flavor trends and ‘brand profile’ specifications.
- Process Improvements: organizes regular panel that validates process improvements against Fremont’s trained panel. Work with Quality Manager to design sensory trials that will gather appropriate data to make statistics driven recommendations to the Production Team about effect of proposed change.
- Raw Material Evaluation: assist with annual hop selection trip. Facilitates continuous evaluation of hop aroma quality throughout the year, help provide feedback to production team about changing hop lots. Facilitates evaluation of new varieties of malt on a laboratory scale before introducing to the pilot brewing system.
- Customer Facing Education: represents the brewery in a professional manner at sensory education at occasional sensory related events. Presents Fremont’s sensory program and educates customers on beer sensory.
- Back-up Lab Tech: cross trained in the day-to-day laboratory bench work- tank sampling, fermentation monitoring, VDK analysis, microbiological testing. They will assist in the laboratory when necessary (vacation time, sick time, barrel testing projects, etc).
Required Skills / Experience
- 1+ years of experience working in a laboratory, brewery experience preferred.
- Obsessive dedication to quality and detail.
- Drive to be self-motivated with passion for learning new skills and a desire to take on new responsibilities.
- 4-year degree in Chemistry, Microbiology, or related discipline. Food Science degree is preferred.
- Solid understanding of Chemistry, Microbiology, and Sensory Science in the context of a brewery.
- Basic understanding of the brewing and packaging process.
- Experienced in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word.
- A high degree of multitasking with ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- Flexibility in scheduling. Position will require first, second shifts and weekends.
- Ability to work safely and promote a culture of safety through example.
- Ability to lift and carry approximately 25lbs
- Ability to sit, stand, stoop, bend for up to 10 hours per day.
- Comfortable working in a fume hood- occasional exposure to fumes and airborne particles.
Fremont Brewing offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, a dynamic and rewarding work environment, and growth for dedicated and committed employees.
Fremont Brewing provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, military status, or political ideology in any of its activities or operations.