Director of Brewery Operations
Deschutes Brewery & Public House
Apply for Job
The Director of Brewery Operations leads all functions and processes related to brewing, cellaring, packaging, maintenance, utilities, operational technology maintenance, and quality assurance. Responsibilities include developing a team that functions at a high level of experience, creativity and efficiency. S/he will have oversight of sourcing all brewing and packaging materials, product development process, and continually improving processes to impact quality, consistency and efficiency. This position is involved with marketing efforts, special events, strategic planning, and brewing industry events. The Director of Brewing Operations is a member of the Senior Leadership and Strategic Planning teams and reports to CEO.
- Ensure consistent high quality and efficient operations of the brewery including Pub brewing operations, production brewing, packaging, quality, maintenance, and utilities.
- Oversee and monitor daily plant operations, providing assistance when necessary.
- Monitor beer quality and provide resources for troubleshooting and data analysis.
- Monitor and assist in maintaining plant assets through proper maintenance programs.
- Reinforce a safety culture and attitude in plant operations at all times.
- Work with PMO regarding brewery project planning and designed in the operations area and brewery expansion programs.
- Serve on Senior Leadership team and work with and support all company leaders.
- Lead Operations team. Coach and mentor staff, create opportunities for team development, make hiring decisions, and drive performance management and recognition.
- Develop, lead, and effectively communicate Operational strategy and hold co-owners accountable to achieving results.
- Oversee specifications for raw materials in both brewing and packaging. Work with Purchasing Manager to set procurement.
- Responsible for establishing brewing, packaging, maintenance and quality department standard operating procedures with a focus on team involvement, respect, and efficiencies.
- Responsible for identifying equipment, facilities and talent to meet future growth projections.
- Work with R&D Brewmaster in developing and scaling up new products.
- Lead the annual budget process for all departments within oversight.
- Represent DB in industry technical events, conferences, and marketing events.
What We’re Looking For:
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Fermentation Science or a degree in science with comparable specialized training in brewing science. Applicable experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- A minimum 10 years practical, professional brewing, packaging, maintenance and quality control experience.
- Solid level of experience with world class manufacturing techniques with the business acumen to anticipate and respond to future needs of the organization.
- Proven track record in leading and managing change.
Skills, Knowledge, Attributes:
- Consistent history of building relationships and strong communication with diverse personality types.
- Ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment.
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Demonstrated ability to create and deliver engaging, straight forward, and detail oriented presentations to a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to create a strategy to implement continual improvements in brewing and packaging processes including automation to meet demand and improve consistency, quality and efficiency.
- Sound knowledge of financial management tools.
- Innovative team builder, individual & team motivator.