Angry Horse Brewing
Apply for this Job
Position Summary: The Lead Brewer is responsible for all aspects of the beer production process and day-to-day operations of the brewery. It is leadership role within our company which can involve many different tasks including managing other brewers, making purchasing decisions, meeting with customers and other businesses, creating new types of beer, setting production goals and managing resources in partnership with the leadership of the brewery.
The Lead Brewer is highly experienced with the beer brewing process and is ultimately responsible for the quality of beers that a brewery produces. The Lead Brewer is involved with creative decisions including what kinds of beer to produce, where to source the best raw materials for that particular beer and what kinds of machinery should be used in the production process.
The Lead Brewer must also consider the marketability of the beers they intend to produce and work in conjunction with marketing staff and the brewery owners to develop successful beers
Angry Horse is a collaborative environment so the lead brewer is expected to work closely with others within to organization while creating their production plan.
- Manage brewery human resource objectives by hiring, orienting, training, coaching, and developing brewery staff and communicating job expectations
- Manage Brewery including staffing needs, inventory, policies etc.
- Maintain safe, healthy and sustainable brewery environment, SOP’s and safety.
- Managing key production requirements and setting KPIs
- Responsibility for maintaining Occupational Health & Safety and compliance with food standards
- Advise on capital expenditure
- Main point of contact for the brewery operations.
- Must be a great communicator.
- Must possess a mechanical aptitude.
- Must have experience in production brewing and or experience in sanitary food or beverage processing.
- Candidates should be serious about safety, quality and cleanliness.
- Availability to work days, nights, and weekends is necessary.
- Scheduling and Maintain a clean & safe work space
- Wort Production on 10bbl system (our system is currently 5bbl)
- Fermentation Monitoring
- Cellar operations include filtration, tank cleaning/sanitization
- Keg Cleaning and filling along with draft line maintenance
- Selecting raw materials that are used in the brewing process
- Record keeping and quality control
- Develop new brewing recipes to meet market demand
- Inventory Control
- Local festivals and events
- Work with the marketing team to improve the profile, maintain branding, naming, promoting and marketing our beers.
- Help to build the customer base
- Meeting with trade associations
Essential Job Requirements
A lead brewer doesn’t necessarily have a specific educational qualification. However, they are expected to have a great deal of experience with beer making, managing resources and managing staff.
However, a degrees in one or more of the following areas is encouraged:
- Brewing and distilling
- Chemical engineering
- Food science or food technology
- At least 3-5 years experience in brewing beer
- Demonstrated ability to manage a beer production line
- Experience in a role that involved managing staff
- Experience keeping records for quality control
- Experience managing projects
- Mechanical or engineering experience
- Food production experience
- Ability to work independently
- Capable of lifting 100 lbs repeatedly
- Great communication skills
- Detail oriented
- Critical thinking skills
- Carbonate beer and prepare for it for Packaging customers.
- Be able to twist and turn, be able to reach over your shoulders, and work in standing/walking/ crouching position at a steady pace.
- Good attitude
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Willing to learn & teach brewery staff
- Desire to help build and grow the company
The right person will be in at the ground level of our new Montebello location and a very important part of the management team. We are looking for a team player, and one who is excited about the challenge of helping to build a successful business. We’re looking for someone who is interested in playing a role in the overall business long term.
Compensation will be based on experience.
If you’re interested in applying, please send along a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.