Apply for this Job
To apply for this position, please submit BOTH a cover letter AND resume in MS Word or PDF format!
Oakshire Employee Classification: Full-timeSupervisor: Lead Brewer
Objective: The Brewer’s primary objective is to produce the highest quality beer.
Duties and Responsibilities: The Brewer position reports to and is directed by the Head Brewer. Brewers perform the following duties and responsibilities:
Perform grain handling and milling as per standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Operate two-roller mills.
- Maintain a clean and organized mill room.
- Assist in grain inventory maintenance.
Perform wort production duties as per SOPs
- Handle raw materials.
- Operate mash/lauter, boil kettle and whirlpool vessels.
- Maintain documentation and as required by production, packaging and administrative teams.
- Inventory management.
- General brewhouse, cellar, and millroom cleaning.
- Assist in QA/QC program and conducting routine QC protocols.
Perform cellar operations as per SOPs
- Monitor and manage fermentation, including taking and documenting daily readings.
- Perform vessel clean-in-place (CIP) procedures.
- Perform tank transfers.
- Adjust tank temperatures.
- Produce cold water extract coffee.
- Perform dry hopping.
- Carbonate finished beer.
Mechanical and basic engineering aptitude
- Ability to identify, troubleshoot and resolve issues with the brewhouse, cellar, packaging and related equipment.
Additional responsibilities as assigned by Lead Brewer – Oakshire is a small company requiring each team member to occasionally perform tasks or shift work outside of their job description.
- Unwavering positive attitude and commitment to making the highest quality beer.
- Motivated, hard-working, and demonstrated ability to learn and follow standard operating procedures and schedules.
- Exceptional verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to efficiently manage competing priorities throughout the day while minimizing transition time between tasks.
- Ability to recognize and anticipate reaction to and perception of one’s own communications and the communications of others.
- Ability to learn and follow comprehensive hazard and safety programs.
- Ability to recognize maintenance issues.
- Working knowledge of raw materials, beer recipe design, and raw material performance throughout the brewing process.
- Ability to perform laboratory skills associated with milling and grain handling, cellar operations and wort production.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including day, swing or night shifts.
Required Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Professional training and certificate at a recognized institution and/or a minimum of 2 years of experience in a production brewery or large brewpub.
- Comprehensive understanding of and experience operating, troubleshooting and resolving mechanical and other issues for standard production, cellaring, packaging and related equipment.
- Forklift certification or ability to obtain on the job.
- Experience participating in a sensory panel.
The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee in the position described to perform the position’s essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Those physical demands include:
- Frequently sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, talk and hear, and stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Ability to lift and move up to 75 pounds and move kegs which may weigh up to 165 pounds using traditional lifting methods.
- Ability to be frequently exposed to wet conditions, strong and sometimes disagreeable odors and work with various chemicals safely and per standardized operating procedures.
- Ability to work near moving mechanical parts, to work in a moderate noise level using hearing protection, and to work in a cold environment.
Compensation and Benefits
Oakshire offers competitive wages consistent with experience level. Oakshire also offers robust benefits packages that are job classification determined and may include medical, dental, and disability insurance, 401K, paid time off, Public House credit, and plenty of fun. Complete details are described in the Oakshire Employee Handbook.