Assistant Brewer/Cellar Operator
Spencer Devon Brewing
Apply for this Job
JOB TITLE: Assistant Brewer/Cellar Operator:
LOCATION: Fredericksburg, Virginia
- Spencer Devon Brewing, located in Fredericksburg, Virginia, is seeking a full time Assistant Brewer/Cellar Operator to join its team. Established in 2014, Spencer Devon Brewing brings the adventure of craft beer to downtown Fredericksburg. We are cultivating the region’s finest quality craft beer selections. Paired with delectable appetizers, main courses and desserts prepared with ingredients from local farms, it’s a true art of craft beer creation. We keep 10 different offerings on tap, and conduct monthly Beer Dinners for our customers.
- Spencer Devon Brewing features a 10 bbl 2 vessel brew house, and is currently distributing draft beer to select accounts through a local craft beer distributor. As we are growing, we need help Brewing, performing beer transfers, kegging beer, cleaning vessels, kegs, and assisting the Head Brewer in all aspects of production processes.
- The person that fills this position will be responsible for all aspects of processes related to fermentation, conditioning, treatment, clarification, carbonation, and any processes required to achieve final product ready to package. This employee must be hard working, responsible, and motivated. The individual will have a passion for craft beer and a desire to continue learning and growing here and Spencer Devon and within the craft beer industry. They should also be somewhat comfortable in social situations representing the brewery in public on occasions. We are looking for someone who also possesses integrity, loyalty, and a dedication and enthusiasm for creating great craft beer. This is hard, and strenuous work so the applicant should be in fairly good physical condition, have good organizational skills and be dedicated to keeping a clean brewery.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducting all brewing operations if the Head Brewer is unavailable
- Cellaring duties including fermentation management
- Carbonating beer to proper CO2 levels
- CIP of brewing and fermentation tanks and other equipment
- Ingredient additions to beer post fermentation
- Assist in logging of all brewing related notes from brew day through fermentation, finishing and packaging
- Maintaining sanitary practices in all aspects of the production process
- Preparation, filling, and transfer of beer from different types of spirit barrels
- Assist with quality assurance activities and monitor progress of beers through measurements and data recording
- Washing kegs, and filling kegs
- Assist in cleaning draft lines
- Removing spent grain from the Mash Tun and moving 50 gallon drums of spent grain to the loading dock via hand truck
- Conducting accurate inventories on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis
- Working safely with dangerous cleaning chemicals on a daily basis
- Moving packaged/kegged product to the cold room and stacking full kegs
- Assisting the Head Brewer with any other projects and essential work
- Conducting preventive maintenance on all brewery equipment
- One year experience in a commercial production brewery or a brew pub and/or education from a recognized brewing program
- A strong passion for brewing, processes, and a desire to advance and grow within the craft beer industry
- Some understanding of brewing aspects and the all the duties described above
- Self-motivation, strong work ethic, and good critical thinking skills
- Must be flexible in terms of work hours, and be willing to work some nights, weekends if needed
- Computer literate with some understanding of Microsoft Office/spreadsheet programs
- Possess an ability to multi-task
- Team Player
- To properly perform this job and be successful, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Heavy physical work including climbing stairs, climbing into tanks, pulling hoses
- Willing to work in many different environments to include, hot, cold, and wet conditions
- Willing to work in a fairly loud environment
- Ability to work safely with hazardous chemicals
- Ability to frequently lift/move up to 65lbs and occasionally move up to 165 lbs.
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl bend, twist, kneel, and climb stairs
- Manual dexterity
- Endurance to work a 10-12 hour shift on foot
- This will be discussed in further upon receiving a resume and while conducting an interview, but I will tell you, we have some AWESOME food and beer perks!
- Salary to be commensurate with the applicant’s experience.
We hope you are as passionate and have a current love affair with great craft beer like we do. If so, please email a resume to email@example.com