Apply for this Job
Oakshire Market Managers work as an integral part of the Sales and Marketing team, with the primary objective of communicating Oakshire’s value proposition for the purpose of selling Oakshire beer according to specific market plans targeting wholesalers, retailers, and beer drinkers. This specific Market Manager position is responsible for the following market: Seattle Metro as well as Tacoma, Olympia, Bellingham and the Spokane region.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Build Weekly Plans and Collaborate with Wholesalers to Achieve specific Key Performance Indicators:
- Plan and execute communication systems to effectively disseminate information to wholesalers and retail accounts regarding Core Year Round, Core Seasonal, Pilot, and Vintage beers and associated programing.
- Work collaboratively with wholesalers and all Sales and Marketing team members (4-5 members) to manage the following KPIs per week:
- Distribution as reported by Vermont Information Processing (VIP)
- Velocity (Rate of Sale) as reported by VIP
- Key and Target Account Calls managed through KARMA app
- Plan and execute monthly and annual wholesaler performance reviews and planning sessions:
- Performance against sales volume goals for brand and package
- Performance against distribution goals for brand and package
- Current spend against marketing fund, cents per case (CPC)
- Package inventory and orders versus rate of sale and minimum days on hand (DOH)
- Review of brand and package distribution and shelf standards
- Brand and package release calendars
- Events, trade show, and promotions schedule
- Market and business insights
Plan & execute events focused on specific objectives:
- Plan and execute events to communicate Oakshire’s value proposition directly to retail accounts and beer drinkers.
- Plan and execute Oakshire’s participation in wholesaler trade shows and similar events specifically targeting retail buyers.
- Plan and execute tasting events to achieve increases in velocity at specific accounts.
Plan & execute weekly schedules of objective-driven account calls:
- Plan a specific number of in-person, email, and over-the-phone account calls per week with pre-planned objectives. Key and target account lists will be developed by market in collaboration with the wholesaler and sales director.
- Research, planning, and documentation duties make up approximately 25% of a Market Manager’s workload and require exceptional computer skills and aptitude for learning new software systems (VIP, GP Analytics, Excel, Asana) and ability to rapidly improve on existing skills. See required skills below.
- Complete daily documentation of account calls, schedule follow up actions, and either execute or proactively communicate changes on every action.
- Follow up on all account communications within one business day and specifically identify and complete all necessary actions in a proactive manner.
- Weekly distributor communication recapping previous week’s account calls and specific follow-up needs.
- Communicate clearly and effectively for the purposes of building rapport and ensuring current and future Oakshire beer sales.
Communicate & coordinate with wholesalers, retailers and Oakshire staff:
- Develop and maintain working relationships with key wholesaler personnel: Sales Management, Sales Representatives, Graphics & POS leads, Purchasing Agents, Billing and Pricing contacts
- Communicate monthly and weekly schedules with wholesalers, retailers and the Oakshire Sales and Marketing Team
- Coordinate with wholesalers to ensure timely execution of pre-planned events and follow-up on trade execution needs as outlined by the Market Manager in their weekly wholesaler communication
- Coordinate wholesaler work-withs 30+ days in advance and communicate specific goals and expectations prior to the scheduled date. Minimum work-with expectations may be assigned by the sales director.
- Communicate and coordinate with Oakshire’s Administrative Coordinator to pre-plan orders according to Oakshire’s standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Conduct monthly retail price survey to insure Oakshire packages are being reflected at the proper PTC and aligned with competition.
- Prepare monthly Market Recap providing insight on the following: Brand and package performance, planned events & promotions, planned wholesaler meetings and work-withs, opportunities, success stories, and market insights.
Additional responsibilities assigned as needed by the Sales Director.
- Unwavering positive attitude and commitment to presenting the highest quality beer.
- Motivated, hard-working, and demonstrated ability to learn and follow standard operating procedures and schedules.
- Exceptional verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills. Non-verbal communication skills include tone, eye contact, personal presentation and other attributes.
- Exceptional computer skills and aptitude for consistent and incremental improvement of skills to keep pace with changings systems and increased competition, proficient in Word, Excel and Power Point programs
- Typing speed must be 40 words per minute or better as determined by http://www.typingtest.com/.
- Shortcut keys must be used to navigate within and between computer programs in order optimize efficiency.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to efficiently manage competing priorities throughout the day while minimizing transition time between tasks.
- Ability to recognize and anticipate reaction to and perception of one’s own communications and the communications of others.
- Desire for and ability to increase efficiency in communication each work day.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings, weekends, holidays and overnight travel.
- Ability to quickly calculate margin through the distribution chain.
- A strong understanding of distribution logistics and ability to explain related concepts with ease, such as three-tier, two-tier, FOB, PTR, PTC, margin vs. mark-up, FIFO, Code Dates and dating types, price vs. cost, and other concepts as needed.
- Ability to understand and communicate very specific information regarding pricing at all three tiers while maintaining necessary confidentiality.
Required Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Four-year degree or equivalent education or experience.
- Two years of beverage industry experience.
- Alcohol Servers Permit.
- Valid Washington Driver’s License and clean driving record.
- Understanding of draft systems sufficient to operate portable draft equipment and assess draft beer quality in the field.
The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee in the position described to perform the position’s essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Those physical demands include:
- Frequently sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, talk and hear, and stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Ability to lift and move up to 75 pounds and move kegs which may weigh up to 165 pounds using traditional lifting methods.
- Ability to be frequently exposed to wet conditions, strong and sometimes disagreeable odors and occasionally caustic chemicals.
- Ability to work near moving mechanical parts, to work in a moderate noise level using hearing protection, and to work in a cold environment.
Compensation and Benefits: