Barrel and Sour Cellar Manager
Smog City Brewing Co.
Apply for this Job
Smog City Brewing Co seeks a Barrel and Sour Cellar Manager to join our team in Torrance, CA
Experience producing clean and sour barrel aged beer is required.
This is an hourly position based on experience.
At Smog City, our passion for exceptionally balanced and creatively inspired beer can be seen in our solid core lineup, rotating seasonal and special releases, and in our 350+ oak vessels, most of them part of our sour program. The ideal candidate must be excited by experimentation, constantly pushing boundaries, continuing to help build our barrel program, exceeding expectations in an increasingly crowded category, and thrive when challenged.
This is a tremendous opportunity for the right person.
- Must have an excellent palate and the verbal skills to communicate what it is you are tasting in all aspects of clean and sour barrel aged beer.
- Must be familiar with Brettanomyces and mixed fermentation aromas, flavors, and flaws.
- Must be familiar with the equipment and techniques of properly filling, emptying, repairing, and maintaining oak vessels of varying sizes.
- Must have experience with sour beer bottle packaging and conditioning including suitable yeast strains, dosing, and sugar additions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency with Microsoft Office/Google Docs required.
- Ability to work independently and manage your time efficiently.
- Be able to collaborate as a team player and have a strong desire to help create amazing beer.
- Communicate clearly and concisely with respect to all personnel at all levels, in addition to customers.
- Incredible attention to detail. These beers are built on subtlety and the right candidate will demonstrate a superhuman attention to detail.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Management of a growing clean and sour barrel aged beer program.
- Scheduling the blending and packaging of all clean and sour beers as necessary.
- Help plan the monthly schedules by coordinating barrel aged beer production and packaging with operations manager and head brewer.
- Collaborative recipe development and formulation. Keep the creative juices flowing with one-offs, alternate versions, experimental hops and foraged ingredients. This means a lot of creative freedom for the right person!
- Develop SOP’s for barrel aged beer handling: Develop an SOP program to standardize methods for all tasks related to barrel aged beer.
- All staff help out wherever they are needed. The above are guidelines but additional responsibilities may, and most likely will, be required.
- Standard brewery cellar work to include but not limited to: CIP of tanks, parts, transfer lines, regular pH and gravity measurements, equipment maintenance, and lots of cleaning.
- 2 years minimum professional brewery experience
- 1 year minimum experience handling barrel aged beer production from start to finish
- Experience working in ALL areas of the brewery a plus.
Minimum physical abilities required:
- Must be in good physical condition and able to maneuver in confined spaces.
- Must be able to walk, sit, stand, and/or crouch for extended periods of time.
- Must be able & willing to work early morning, daytime, evening and/or weekend shifts.
- Must be able to lift 55 lbs. (malt bag!) to shoulder level repeatedly and maneuver at least 165 lb. (full keg!) containers safely.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The cover letter should describe why you are interested in the position and why Smog City Brewing Company should hire you.
Please provide a resume that includes all relevant work history. It should also contain your education and any formal/informal brewery training.
You must provide 3 references, one character reference, one professional reference and a third of either character or professional nature. At least one reference should be from your current/most recent place of work.References WILL be checked.