Charlottesville, VA – Starr Hill Brewery is excited to announce the release of ten new beers in 2016, including the launch of the Heavy Rotation Series, two new seasonal releases, and a revamped Debut Series lineup. In addition to releasing nearly one new beer each month, Starr Hill is retiring Dark Starr Stout and Starr Pils German Pilsner as year-round brands.
Inspired to craft an ongoing playlist of new beer styles, Starr Hill is launching the Heavy Rotation Series in the spring. Pairing fresh beer with fresh music, each of the four releases will be accompanied by a handpicked mixtape, available through Starr Hill’s Spotify account. The first beer in the Heavy Rotation Series, Daily Grind Peppercorn Farmhouse Ale, will start spinning this March in six-packs and on draft.
“One of the coolest parts about the Heavy Rotation Series is the opportunity to focus our brewing efforts on new and interesting styles that are not IPA-focused,” said Starr Hill’s Brewmaster, Robbie O’Cain. “We have some really interesting new yeast strains, additives and processes to feature in this lineup.”
Starr Hill heads into festival season with a new summer seasonal: The Hook Grapefruit Session IPA. This pairs real grapefruit zest with Apollo, Citra, and Mosaic hops to create a bright, refreshing beer highlighting citrus hop flavors. The Hook will be followed by Last Leaf Maple Brown Ale as the fall seasonal offering. This smooth-bodied English brown ale brewed with real Virginia maple syrup will be a welcome alternative to the pumpkin pandemonium of fall.
The Debut Series represents the first time in the spotlight for each release in this draft-only lineup, showcasing the brewing team’s passion for creating big, high-gravity beers. First up in early January is a Double Chocolate Imperial Stout, brewed with enormous amounts of cocoa powder and dry-nibbed to create a rich chocolate flavor and aroma.
“2016 will feature the strongest lineup of beers Starr Hill has ever brewed,” said O’Cain. “Our brewing team is excited to develop a variety of styles while utilizing different techniques, ingredients, and equipment, including our new centrifuge.”
To make room for these upcoming additions to the Starr Hill lineup of beers, two year-round brands will be phased out in January 2016: Dark Starr and Starr Pils. First released in 2000, Dark Starr Stout was Starr Hill’s longest-running brand and has won more national and international awards than any other Dry Irish Stout in the country. Starr Pils was introduced in 2012 as a light, sessionable summer seasonal.
“Dark Starr and Starr Pils played an important part in our brewery’s history,” said Starr Hill’s VP of Sales, Duke Fox. “But this shift away from year-round offerings and towards increased rotation reflects the preferences of both our fans and our team; we are all passionate about continuing to find and share creative, new beers. In 2016, Starr Hill has done just that, and more.”
The full list of Starr Hill Brewery’s new 2016 releases includes:
Two New Seasonal Beers:
- Hook Grapefruit Session IPA (May) – uses real grapefruit zest to compliment bright citrus hop character and a sessionable body.
- Last Leaf Maple Brown Ale (August) – an English brown ale made with real Virginia maple syrup, featuring subtle vanilla notes and smooth, malty character.
Four Heavy Rotation Series Beers:
- Daily Grind Peppercorn Farmhouse Ale (March) – features traditional aromas of spice and citrus, while crushed peppercorns bring earthy, bright flavors to this rustic saison.
- Sublime Citrus Wit (June) – showcases real lemon and lime zest that melds with tangy wheat and subtle spice notes of the Belgian yeast.
- A Helles Bock (September) – details to be announced.
- A Stout or dark ale (December) – details to be announced.
Four Debut Series Beers:
- Double Chocolate Imperial Stout (January) – brewed using enormous amounts of cocoa powder and dry-nibbed to create a rich chocolate flavor and aroma.
- Bourbon Barrel Tripel (April) – a Belgian Tripel that’s been aged for several months in whiskey barrels.
- Imperial IPA (July) – for the summer with special ingredients to be announced.
- Imperial Porter (October) – for the holidays with special ingredients to be announced.
About Starr Hill Brewery:
Starr Hill Brewery is an independent, regional craft brewery born in a music hall in 1999 in Charlottesville, Virginia. Among the most award-winning craft breweries on the East Coast, Starr Hill has won 21 Great American Beer Festival, World Beer Cup and Great British Beer Festival medals. Starr Hill beer is distributed throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Southeastern regions.