BOSTON – Back by popular demand by grooms everywhere, the brewers at Samuel Adams announce the return of Samuel Adams Brewlywed Ale. The limited release, Belgian-style “bride ale” will be available for one day only — on June 26, 2013 — exclusively at the Boston Brewery. Created to celebrate the tradition of brewing for weddings, Brewlywed Ale is an alternative to the traditional bubbly — and the 2012 batch even inspired three beer-loving couples to tie the knot last year with Founder and Brewer Jim Koch serving as Best Man. Jim and the wedding experts from TheKnot.com will be on hand again this year to celebrate the love of beer with a justice of the peace, food, music and another chance for beer lovers to tie the knot at Samuel Adam’s brewery hop garden.
A distinct and complex brew, Brewlywed Ale offers layers of flavor including tropical, floral aromas of Summer and Stella hops with subtle hints of spice. Just 300 cases of this specialty beer have been brewed for the big day, so individuals or couples who are recently engaged, married or celebrating an anniversary — or anyone looking for a unique, beyond-the-registry gift — can line up for the chance to get their hands on a bottle or case.
Brides and grooms today are more daring than they’ve ever been when it comes to embracing what some would consider non-traditional food and drink trends at their wedding. People are incorporating craft beer bars, beer tasting stations and beer and food pairings into their big day in lieu of standard wine and cocktail bars.
And they aren’t alone. Beer has played a key role in weddings throughout history. The medieval word “ale” is actually rooted in the word “bridal,” which refers to a festive occasion where much ale is drunk in celebration. The brewers at Samuel Adams have kept the bridal brewing tradition alive; Founder and Brewer Jim Koch brewed the first batch of Samuel Adams Noble Pils for his daughter’s wedding day and Brewer Bob Cannon (the brewer with the beard) brewed what came to be Samuel Adams Irish Red for his own wedding.
The day at the Brewery will include live music, beer pairing suggestions for wedding menus, local wedding vendors, on-site giveaways of Samuel Adams merchandise, a toast from Jim Koch and expert advice fromTheKnot.com, the #1 wedding destination. The first 50 people to line up at the Brewery will also have a chance to purchase a signed bottle of Brewlywed Ale from Jim (tip to the wise: be one of the first to arrive in bridal attire to jump the line and ensure a signed brew). And for those true beer fans who long for a destination wedding, it could also be their actual “big day.” A justice of the peace will be available to perform ceremonies in the brewery’s hop garden with Jim Koch serving as Best Man (don’t forget the completed wedding license*).
What Founder and Brewer Jim Koch has to say about the beer: “At Samuel Adams, we know that craft beer can be the centerpiece of a great wedding. I brewed a special recipe for my own wedding and kept the tradition going by brewing the original batch of Samuel Adams Noble Pils for my daughter’s wedding day. Brewlywed Ale, which is floral, sweet and spicy, was brewed to be shared during special moments like these. It’s fun to see more and more brides and grooms incorporating craft beer into their big day.”
Anja Winikka, TheKnot.com Site Director also recognizes the trend: “Our brides love beer! More and more we’ve been seeing couples go beyond the traditional bar and really personalizing the experience for their guests. Beer is huge — everything from beer flights and craft beer bars to beer tasting stations and beer and food pairings. Couples are even serving homebrews specially created for their events. That’s why we’re so excited about Brewlywed Ale — it gives all craft beer lovers a chance to enjoy the trend at their weddings. Plus, what could be better for personalizing your day than a specialty wedding beer?”
Brewlywed Ale — Day of Ceremonies at Samuel Adams Boston Brewery, 30 Germania Street inBoston, Mass.
WHEN: Wednesday, June 26, 2013; 9:00 a.m. — 1:00 p.m.
- 7:00AM: Line up early. The first 50 people in line have the opportunity to purchase a bottle signed by Jim Koch. The first 20 people to arrive in bridal attire will be moved to the front of the line (guaranteeing one of those bottles!)
- 9:00AM: Toast from Jim Koch, brewery doors open and Samuel Adams Brewlywed Ale is for sale (while it lasts.)
- 9:00AM-1:00PM: Sampling of beer-infused wedding fare and pairing suggestions from local small business owners who are members of the Samuel Adams Brewing the American Dream program, wedding advice from Anja Winikka, site director of TheKnot.com, wedding vendors, giveaways, a digital wedding photo booth and with a justice of the peace at the brewery until 1 p.m., maybe even some weddings!
- 1:00PM: Last call. Brewlywed doors close at 1 p.m. (If any beer remains, drinkers may purchase at the brewery gift shop until 4 p.m.)
Samuel Adams Brewlywed Ale, Brewers’ tasting notes:
- This traditional Belgian-style “bride ale” combines the tropical, floral aromas of Summer and Stella hops with subtle hints of spice.
- Its light malt character and soft hop profile impart an upfront fruity taste followed by lingering notes of clove and honeysuckle from Belgian yeast.
- At 8% ABV, Samuel Adams Brewlywed Ale is a medium bodied brew, deep golden in color with a slight unfiltered haze.
- This special brew finishes a little crisp from the wheat, with a citrus and fruity note on the palate and lingering hop finish.
- We recommend serving this beer at a temperature of 40-45 degrees and enjoying it before your one-year anniversary.
- Samuel Adams Brewlywed Ale will be packaged in decorated 750mL, cork-finished bottles (perfect to serve on the table at weddings); and available for $14.99 per bottle, or purchased by the case of 12 (maximum of 5 cases per purchase).
- Get hitched at the brewery! Interested? Email Samuel Adams: email@example.com
- Brewer Tasting Video
- For additional information, visit blog.samueladams.com
- Check out our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/samueladams
- Follow Brewlywed tweets @SamuelAdamsBeer #ForTheLoveofBeer
*A wedding license can be obtained in any Massachusetts City or Town Hall. There is a three (3) day waiting period after application before couples can pick up the license; it is valid for 60 days after it is picked up. A license must be present in order to be married.
ABOUT THE BOSTON BEER COMPANY:
The Boston Beer Company began in 1984 with a generations-old family recipe that Founder and Brewer Jim Koch uncovered in his father’s attic. Inspired and unafraid to challenge conventional thinking about beer, Jim brought the recipe to life in his kitchen. Pleased with the results of his work, Jim decided to sample his beer with bars in Boston in the hopes that drinkers would appreciate the complex, full-flavored beer he brewed fresh in America. That beer was aptly named Samuel Adams Boston Lager┬«, in recognition of one of our nation’s great founding fathers, a man of independent mind and spirit. Little did Jim know at the time, Samuel Adams Boston Lager would soon become a catalyst of the American craft beer revolution.
Today, The Boston Beer Company brews more than 50 styles of beer. It relentlessly pursues the development of new styles and the perfection of classic beers by searching the world for the finest ingredients. Using the traditional four vessel brewing process, the Company often takes extra steps like dry-hopping, barrel-aging and a secondary fermentation known as krausening. The Company has also pioneered another revolution, the ‘extreme beer’ movement, where it seeks to challenge drinker’s perceptions of what beer can be. The Boston Beer Company has been committed to elevating the image of American craft beer by entering festivals and competitions around the globe, and in the past five years has won more awards in international beer competitions than any other brewery in the world. As an independent company, brewing quality beer remains its single focus. Although Samuel Adams beer is America’s largest-selling craft beer, it accounts for only one percent of the U.S. beer market. The Boston Beer Company will continue its independently-minded quest to brew great beer and to advocate for the growth of craft beer across America. For more information, please visit www.samueladams.com.
The Knot is the nation’s leading wedding resource, reaching nearly every bride in America through the number-one wedding website, TheKnot.com; The Knot national and local wedding magazines; The Knot book series; and syndicated columns in newspapers nationwide. The Knot is the flagship brand of XO Group Inc. (NYSE: XOXO; www.xogroupinc.com ), a global media and technology leader devoted to weddings, pregnancy and everything in between, providing young women with the trusted information, products and advice they need to guide them through the most transformative events of their lives. Follow The Knot on Twitter @theknot.